Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How Do You Feel About Your Children Being Photographed in Public?

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 11:58 AM
  • 20 Replies

Mom Charged With Attacking Photographer for Taking Photos of Her Kids

by Maressa Brown

camera photographerA 32-year-old mom named Victoria M. Torres was arrested in Springfield, Massachusetts earlier this week after assaulting a 22-year-old student. The reason? The girl was snapping pics near a water park for a "photography class project," and Torres confronted her, "demanding in a threatening manner" that she delete any pictures containing images of her children, according to law enforcement. Apparently, the photographer was beaten by Torres, who also tried to take the woman's camera and equipment. Yow.

While any mom would be unnerved by the idea that a stranger had taken photos of her children, it definitely seems as though this mom took her concern way too far.

It's one thing if you're afraid your child may be photographed when you're on private property, at your home, for instance, or even when they're playing on a school playground at recess. That might warrant a freak-out (albeit probably not one nearly as violent as what occurred here). But in a public place, you can't help but surrender to the fact that people are out and about and equipped with smartphones that have cameras and perhaps even advanced photography equipment.

In turn, you can't help but accept the fact that your child may be in a LOT of photos, whether you like it or not. And more often than not, it's a completely innocent occurrence; nothing that could put your child in harm's way. Of course, imagining the worst possible scenario (that a child abductor is keeping tabs on your little one) is heart-stopping for a parent. But it doesn't mean you can flip out on anyone with a camera in a public place -- or keep your kids in a bubble at home.

That said, there's no denying Torres really crossed the line. With hope, she's not only doing time for the assault, but she's able to get help that assuages her irrational fears.

How do you feel about the inevitability that your kids will be photographed in public?

by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 11:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momtimesx4
by Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Reminds me of that Andrea L. Mears chic

lizfnf
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 12:12 PM
2 moms liked this

I think when photographing an area for any reason the person wanting to take the photo should say that there is a chance the person or their children would be in the photo.  If taking a specific picture, especially of children, the photographer really needs to ask.  I've always been asked and I've always said it's fine.  My daughter and a friend have been in the local paper, after it was cleared with the parents.  While I wouldn't assault the woman, I would have probably asked her to delete them, and watched as she did.  I'm also the person that doesn't post pictures of other people's children on socail media without the parents consent.  Just seems like good manners to ask before posting a child's picture in a public forum.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 12:17 PM
4 moms liked this

In a public place there is NO expectation of privacy. There are photographs/videos being taken ALL of the time. Thinking otherwise is naive.

aetrom
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 12:21 PM
In a public location unless specifically taking pics of only my child I assume that they are public. It is part of life. Beating soneone up over it? Seriously?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 26, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Expecting privacy in a public place is just foolish.

However, if I saw someone taking multiple pics of my kids or following them around to get them specifically in the pictures I would say something for sure.

But I would never physically attack a person.

BonitaM
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 1:07 PM

I don't have an issue with my DD's picture being taken but I do prefer to be asked first.  I definitely wouldn't have reacted the way this person did.  I've had strangers ask if they could take a picture of DD before and as long as I'm not sensing any weird vibes from them and DD is okay with it I don't see the problem.

waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 1:25 PM
I don't like it but I don't freak out either. I have really only had one person that was intentionally taking pictures of my kids and my husband confronted him. It turned out to be a PI that had been hired by my mother. We were able to bring stalking charges against her as we have a restraining order out against her from seeing my kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 4:53 PM

If it's someone purposely taking pictures of my kids specifically, I want to be asked first. I'm not going to go attacking someone for it, although I would probably ask them why they are taking pictures of my kids. If it's just general crowd shots, I know there's a chance my kids might end up in them and I'm ok w/ that.

I do not post pictures of other people's kids w/o asking permission first. The friend of a friend did that w/ my kids. We were at my friend's son's birthday party, and the friend's friend was taking pictures of it all- ok, fine, no problem. It became a problem when she posted them immediately on Facebook. Um, excuse me, #1, I very rarely post pictures of my kids' faces on FB, and #2, I do not post anything that occurs when not at home until we are back home (b/c we do not trust a couple of dh's family). She plastered my kids' faces on her FB and advertised that we were not home.

theresaphilly
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't like it at all. I don't even post pictures on Facebook or CM when some says "let's see those babies"  You don't have any idea what folks are doing with those pictures. 

urbpro
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 6:17 PM

I don't like it at all but I accept that in a place like a water or amusement park, it can happen and I certainly wouldn't assault the person. I do not post pictures of my children online anywhere nor do I sign those forms that say companies can use their pics in advertising, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN