Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Suprising/Depressing Facts about Books

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:24 PM
Max
  • 63 Replies
1 mom liked this

Is this true for your family? What do you think?

by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:27 PM

1. I have read many books since high school and college.

2. I do buy books for my classroom that are never read.  The ones I buy for my personal use or for my kids are always completed.

3. I have been in a book store this month.

4.  My family bought and read tons of books last year.

5.  I do think kids learn empathy and compassion from reading books.

6. I don't have an hour a day to read in my given field. But if I did I could definitely expand my expertise.

mom2jessnky
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Not true at all for my family. But that infographic is very depressing. :(

I've read more books since HS/College than I did IN them.

It's extremely rare for me to not finish a book, I can only think of one...The Satanic Verses, that book was AWFUL word vomit. Otherwise, no matter what I muscle through that bastard if I have to. But that one book I just couldn't do it.

I was in a book store yesterday, Barnes & Noble is my kids' favorite store.

I need to choose a field LOL. I read absolutely everything. I love books.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:40 PM
2 moms liked this

We tend to re-read the books we already have- we would spend too much in bookstores otherwise, and I tend to forget to return library books on time, so that's not exactly free, either : )

We all do read, though.

psurmont
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:47 PM
1 mom liked this
No I read all the time and finish every book I start. I am the type that can't put a book down until I finish it.
JulesFairy
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:01 PM
Surprising but the fact about bookstores seems sort of silly. Im an avid reader, my girls are getting there ( they would rather be read to for now than read on their own but I still count it as reading) and my husband is an avid reader when time allows, but we don't get most of our books at bookstores. We do scholastic, bookfairs, regular stores, library, or online so the fact that we dont go to an actual bookstore seems immaterial.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:05 PM

1. I have read tons of books since HS and college.  Most for pleasure, but many for knowledge as well.

2. I have one book that I recently purchased that I haven't finished and don't know if I ever will.  It was written by an author that I normally love, but I just couldn't get into this one.

3.  I've been in a book store this month.  We go every few weeks.

4.  Obviously we read a lot since we frequent the book store.

5.  When reading, you put yourself in the different character's shoes and can learn empathy for others.

6.  Every time that I took on a new role in our PTA, I would read up on that position.  I would read the sections of our bylaws pertaining to that position.  I would read sections of the state and national PTA's websites pertaining to that position.  As well as any printed materials that I could find pertaining to the position.  I am considered an "expert" on PTA at my school and am the person that everyone goes to with questions.  Meanwhile, if they'd just read they've have the answers too.

goldpandora
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:06 PM

I read so much that I ran out of shelf space a LONG time ago. When my brother came to visit with his son, he showed him my walls of books and I heard him say "and they've all been READ!" in awe - lol

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:07 PM
One of our favorite places to go is the used bookstore. We read constantly except hubby who listens to audio books instead.
lwalker270
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

These are not true for my family; however, I will say that my book store visits are much less frequent since I was introduced to the wonderful world of ebooks.  

I can't imagine not reading every day.  I feel lost if I don't have something to read!

MonarchMom22
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

There are so fewer neighborhood bookstores anymore, that I'm not surprised by that stat.  But we use the library much more then the bookstore. And the kids have reading time before bed every night - and read for enjoyment as well.  hubby and I read regularly, and enjoy recorded books as well.  

Currently I am reading the same novels as our 6th grader and 8th grader for their summer assignments - we like to talk over the plots, and also a recorded novel.  hubby, mostly non-fiction and bios.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN