Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

New Room Look

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:11 PM
  • 15 Replies

So since my daughter will be in Kindergarten this year, we are thinking about upgrading her room so it is more 'grown-up'. Like taking out her toy box and putting in a school desk where she can draw, color, do homework when she is in 1st grade and beyond, etc. What do you think? I ran it past her and she is liking it, but wants her own lap top to go on the desk lol When did you change your childs room? Oh she is 5 now, but would be 6 going on 7 next year.

by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ljmom24
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:18 PM
My youngest came around when my oldest was 5 so he moved into a bigger room so he got a new room. Youngest moved into the room at 2. We are going to redo it in a year or so abd they will be 11 and 6.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:33 PM

We've redone their rooms multiple times over the years.  Paint is cheap, and easy to do.  So I don't mind redecorating every few years.  They keep their same bed, dresser, desk, and bookshelf.  We just do paint, curtains, bedding, and wall deco. 

My oldest is 13 and we redid his room around ages 3, 6, and 10.  My youngest is 10 and his room was redone at 2.5 and 6.5.

klamomma2
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:07 PM

My daughter got a new look for her 7th birthday when she was in 1st grade.  We bought her a loft bed, painted all the old furniture in her room a fresh white.  She already had a vanity but the drawers were really small so we bought her a desk painted it white and the chair hot pink and just hung a mirror on the wall.  We painted her walls gray and did a paris themed.   Since it was her birthday present she got a whole new look.

My boys are 6 and 3, they share a room.  The beginning of this summer I bought my 6yr old a desk. He loves to color, do puzzles so I thought getting him a desk would be perfect.  He loves it, he does some summer school work on it and can't wait to do real homework! haha  He will be 7 on Halloween.   This is the desk and chair we bought him, I don't have a real picture of it on my computer. 

lizfnf
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:11 PM

I just got rid of my daughter's old toy box on Friday.  She's 7, but it had been empty for a few months while I figured out what I wanted to do next.  I was thinking of a desk, but decided against it since she still has a bad habit of writing on surfaces other than paper.  So....  I created a "reading corner".  I bought a upholstered storage bench, an area rug, floor pillows, and I want to get a floor lamp.  She loves the new space and is finally spending time in her room!

confused0701
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:01 PM

My 9 year old still has her toy box (family heirloom), it is in her closet.  But we redid her room when we moved back in April, before that I had a landlord that wouldn't let us do anything so her room was stark white.  

soymujer
by Mikki on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Older kids didn't get a desk until they were like 9 or 10.  At age 5, they are still little and loved their toy box.

family in the van   Mom of four

Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:49 PM

We moved into our house when my son was 7, and so we redid his room at that time. I bought furniture that would work for his current age, but then would still be functional as he grew older. It's cheaper to paint and change bedding then to have to buy new furniture.

Crissy2424
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:32 PM

She has barely touched her toy box. She likes to be like a big kid. So I'm thinking a child/teenager desk. She can color, do puzzles or her homework we do here at home on her big girl desk.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 8:36 PM

If she's excited about it, go for it.

We haven't really redone any of our kids' rooms. We painted them about 5 yrs ago, and they are still happy w/ the colors. Ds1 and dd still have the wall decals on their walls; ds2 wanted his taken down last yr. Ds1 has taken down some of his posters. I did rearrange some things in dd's room so that her closet doubles as a walk-in doll house (Dora kitchen, 2 doll cribs, a doll stoller, and the doll clothes are in there). They've all had a desk for quite a while; we use bins on shelves instead of toy boxes.

foltzy
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 8:45 PM
This will be the 4th time we redo dd's (9) room. We just bought her a new bed, we're tearing up her carpet and putting down wood flooring. We'll then paint and make curtains, pillows for her daybed(she just got a full size), a new rug and some fun stuff for the walls.

She has a reading corner and a desk in her room as well.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN