Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Dsylexia ???

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:45 PM
  • 22 Replies
Is there other aspects of Dsylexia than mixing letters and numbers. I was speaking with a mom at swim lessons this summer and she mentioned that some reading comprehension issues are now being diagnosed as Dyslexia. Like reading a chapter and not really remembering what you read. And yes I am going to work with my sons teacher when school resumes. Just wanted to see if anyone else has dealt with this.
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:47 PM

We have not had to deal with dyslexia but we have worked with my dd when she had comprehension issues.  We found she was concentrating more on what the words were rather than what the story was.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:53 PM

http://www.dyslexia.com/library/symptoms.htm

mama_pink_tink
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:33 PM
I was told as a child that it's a trait if adhd
mama_pink_tink
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:33 PM
I was told as a child that it's a trait if adhd
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 8:40 PM

I've never heard that before.

aj23
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 8:53 PM

There are a lot of things that could affect comprehension.

I just recently found out my sons eyes aren't tracking properly and that affects comprehension among many other things.

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Jul. 27, 2014 at 8:55 PM

I have a son with dyslexia. Our public school system could not teach him and after several IEP meetings with a lawyer he is finally attending a private school that can teach him the way the public schools could not.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Dyslexia is a term that can be used to describe a specific disability that relates to reading, but it is also sometimes used to describe any type of reading disability.

Generally Dyslexia refers to a visual processing problem that makes reading difficult. Students who can read aloud on their own but have trouble comprehending don't have visual processing issues.

Several factors can impact comprehension. The one I find most common is that students don't interact with the text while they are reading. Basically they are just reading off words without out picturing what's happening or thinking about what they mean. Generally, this isn't a learning disability and can be fixed with good instruction.

Sometimes children have language processing disorders that make comprehension difficult. But when that's the case the child struggles to understand all language. For example, they can't follow the plot of a movie or follow verbal instructions.

If this is only a problem when he's reading chances are it's just a skill gap, not a disability.

kewimom
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:15 PM
Thank you, that was helpful. He is very bright overall. Hates reading. Loves math. Has trouble with subjects where there is reading rhen questions. I had a lot of the sames issues and no one pointed it out till junior college and I took some study skills classes, but that was 20 years ago. Hopefully his teacher will has some advice, he ia going into 6th grade and their school is still elementary level.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Dyslexia is a term that can be used to describe a specific disability that relates to reading, but it is also sometimes used to describe any type of reading disability.

Generally Dyslexia refers to a visual processing problem that makes reading difficult. Students who can read aloud on their own but have trouble comprehending don't have visual processing issues.

Several factors can impact comprehension. The one I find most common is that students don't interact with the text while they are reading. Basically they are just reading off words without out picturing what's happening or thinking about what they mean. Generally, this isn't a learning disability and can be fixed with good instruction.

Sometimes children have language processing disorders that make comprehension difficult. But when that's the case the child struggles to understand all language. For example, they can't follow the plot of a movie or follow verbal instructions.

If this is only a problem when he's reading chances are it's just a skill gap, not a disability.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 10:56 PM
5 moms liked this

I'm sorry but I really find it funny that twice you misspelled dyslexia. Lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)