Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fits/Tantrums

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 10:25 PM
  • 27 Replies

Speaking of back to school, how do you deal with fits, whining and crying?  I put the kids to bed at 8:30 to get them into a better sleep pattern but what drama it unleashed.  Esp my DD2 who put up the biggest fuss because DD1 got to stay up later.

by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 10:29 PM

Same as any other time, although going to their rooms is used more often since that's where we're sending them anyway.

Emily197
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this

we have a set bed time of 9:00 we have the same rutine everynight dinner, baths, reading, and then we brush teeth and lay down it took a while to get the kids used to this but the whinning has stopped and they dont do well now if we stray from the routine. my kids are 5-7 so they go to bed at the same time. 

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd say an even earlier bedtime for the fit since a lot of times pitching fits is due to being overtired.

momtimesx4
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 10:59 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

I'd say an even earlier bedtime for the fit since a lot of times pitching fits is due to being overtired.

Def over tired, she was out within minutes of laying down.  But she will be getting something for that fit. Last time she got a bath at 5pm and was put to bed before the 3yr old.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:11 PM

I'm sorry.  I'm sure it sucks.  I would definately punish for fits, but I have no idea what since I haven't dealt with a fit in a long time.

momtimesx4
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:23 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

I'm sorry.  I'm sure it sucks.  I would definately punish for fits, but I have no idea what since I haven't dealt with a fit in a long time.

Really?  I'll send some your way, I got plenty.  This one was probably a 3 out of a 5 scale. Didn't want a bath, didn't want to get out of the tub, didn't want to put her pajamas on, didn't want to get into bed.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting momtimesx4:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Really?  I'll send some your way, I got plenty.  This one was probably a 3 out of a 5 scale. Didn't want a bath, didn't want to get out of the tub, didn't want to put her pajamas on, didn't want to get into bed.

No thanks.  I put a stop to that right quick.  Only babies have tantrums and if you are going to act like that, you will be treated like a baby.  It took one time of being treated like a baby for that to never happen again.  He'd think about it, but I'd give him a look and he'd quickly stop it.  I'm a meany.

momtimesx4
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting momtimesx4:

Quoting steelcrazy:

No thanks.  I put a stop to that right quick.  Only babies have tantrums and if you are going to act like that, you will be treated like a baby.  It took one time of being treated like a baby for that to never happen again.  He'd think about it, but I'd give him a look and he'd quickly stop it.  I'm a meany.

Well, tonight was just bad for both of us, I feel guilty for threatening to pluck her out of the tub and over my knee.  It got her attention but not the way I'd like.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:40 PM

Quoting momtimesx4:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting momtimesx4:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Well, tonight was just bad for both of us, I feel guilty for threatening to pluck her out of the tub and over my knee.  It got her attention but not the way I'd like.

If it works for you, that is what you do.  It wouldn't work for me though.  

I'm not kidding when I say that I would treat my child like a baby for behaving like that.  I'd bathe him, dry him off, dress him, brush his teeth for him, and put him to bed.  There would be no conversation at all.  Just getting business done.

momtimesx4
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

If it works for you, that is what you do.  It wouldn't work for me though.  

I'm not kidding when I say that I would treat my child like a baby for behaving like that.  I'd bathe him, dry him off, dress him, brush his teeth for him, and put him to bed.  There would be no conversation at all.  Just getting business done.

Hmm...being that was basically what I had to do tonight, I like your idea and will use it tomorrow. Put up another fuss, it will continue on the next day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)