Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

growthspurts?

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:39 AM
  • 18 Replies

i see all these posts i buy all new pants when my kid hits a growthspurt.....but my kid is still in the size 5's from last yr?shes 5 at the end of august. she hasnt hit a growthspurt yet shes halfway as tall as i am! does this sound normal?or isnt she growing right maybe because of the ehlers-danlos syndrom?

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gcstar42
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:45 AM
Most likely she will have a growth spurt soon. Sounds like she could be tall for her age anyways. My daughter who is about to turn 5 was still wearing 4t pants last year, but they were starting to get a little short. So she will probably be in 5t or girls extra small (4) when it starts cooling off enough for long pants this year. If you are concerned at all though, it never hurts to call your pedi and get his or her opinion.
aj23
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:31 AM

Some kids are just small and others hit thier growth spurt later.
I have a 7 year old who is a small guy. We had a Dr. visit last week and he is in the 4% range for height and weight. He's 41lbs and 44" tall and he's never had a growth spurt . He easily gets 2 years worth of wear out of his clothes, some even longer than that.

My sons head comes to my chest so he's over half as tall as me but i'm only 5'2" so that's not saying much. Most kids are over half as tall as I am.

aetrom
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:15 AM
How old is she? My oldest was in size 3-4 until his 5-6 year and them he started shooting up... Has not stopped yet! He is 9 and in 10-12 in most things....

Some kids are smaller, genetics and other things play in. And some kids grow slow and steady....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ljmom24
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:04 AM
My youngest was stuck at the same size for 2 years. He it his growth spurt a month after school started and had 2 more that year. He is still on the small side but his brother is the opposite and tall for his age.

At 3 the pedi was concerned he was so small but my family is short. At 5.5 I'm the tallest. My parents are both 5.4 and my sister is only 5. All
Of my grandparents barely past 5. My dad had a brother who was 5.8 but that's not super tall for men. Dr agreed we can wait a little longer and he has jumped up in his percentiles so for now dr tabling it.

For us dh is tall so that raises flags that ds is small but I just think he got my family genes vs his brother who got dhs. My dad is convinced he is going to end up taller then his brother one day.
coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:34 AM
Not all kids have spurts, some just keep growing at a steady pace.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtimesx4
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:01 AM

None of my kids have had growth spurts, just a slow rate.  Then again DH and myself are on the short side.  He is 5'8" and I'm 5'2. My oldest who just turned 15 is only 5'1 and still wears girls 12/14s

clairewait
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Um. I'm going to go ahead and say there's probably no such thing as normal. Statistics are just groups of information and they usually follow a bell curve. This means there are outliers on each side. 

I try not to measure my own kids' against other people's kids on anything. Other people's kids aren't related to me. Haha.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Generally speaking, kids don't have a growth spurt every year, but rather every few years.  My oldest has a huge one at 9 years old, he completely skipped a clothing size with that spurt.  My youngest had a big spurt at 8.  My oldest had his next big spurt at 12 years old. 

My boys are 10 and 13, and continue to slowly grow inbetween the big spurts.

highlandmum
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:43 AM

I swear my son is ready to have a growth spurt, his feet and legs are starting to hurt at night and he is eating me out of house and home.  Great considering we just purchased new skates and hockey pants for him.

momtimesx4
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Quoting highlandmum:

I swear my son is ready to have a growth spurt, his feet and legs are starting to hurt at night and he is eating me out of house and home.  Great considering we just purchased new skates and hockey pants for him.

Ahh.  That will do it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)