Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Calling All Teachers- Classroom Set Up Pics/Tips

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:31 PM
  • 15 Replies

This is my fifth year teaching at the same school, the same subjects.  Previously I taught grades 3-6, but this year it looks like grades 4-6 due to spliting up a class.  I teach Language Arts and Social Studies, and am looking for ideas to change up my classroom a bit.  Each year I've tried something a little different, and some things have worked better than others.  Last year I didn't have a reading corner due to space constraints...and I want that back.  

So here's what I'm specifically looking to improve:

*Reading Corner

*Writing Center

*Student-Friendly Bulletin Board (where they can access it easily; we don't actually have bulletin boards, so I put up some backgrounds from poster board, giant rolls of paper, or table cloths to post on top of)

*Better organization to my classroom library (I currently use baskets of books divided mostly by genre- but sometimes according to popular authors/series- with color-coded stickers on the baskets and books...but I only can find stickers in 4 colors, so several baskets have the same color, and students just throw them back in according to color most times....help!)

If any teachers have pictures of current or previous classroom designs that have worked for them, or any suggestions that might work...please help me out!

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
t1gger143
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:33 PM
I am not even sure what I'm teaching yet. Just found out they are redoing schedules.
faire_jour
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Can you use buckets that you rotate your books in and out of, so that there are less to get messy? Then you would only need one "set" of each color out at a time.

Also, what are you doing with the bulletin board exactly? 

AmaliaD
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:38 PM
Teaching first, my books have to be sorted weekly. But topic of week and reading level. They only get into the basket for that week. ( choice of around 10 on topic on level books per table / 5 tables ) then I get our middle school students o reorganize it. Pay them with candy and invites to class parties. I have thousands of books so they can't scramble them! I love the bulletin boards that look like a big classroom FB wall, you post updates for the whole group, individual accompaniments, goes all year.
Laurin283
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Possibly rotate the books, but I don't have that much space to store stuff, so I'd have to see where I could put them where they would be out of sight for the students.

I had been posting the spelling and vocab. lists.  Previously I'd just been hanging up samples/projects where I had space, no matter where that was...but I'd like to keep it cleaner and more organized, so I'd like some space to actually hang the projects.  I have 2 "mini-boards" per grade that I've created, but I'm not sure I'll be using them this year.

Quoting faire_jour:

Can you use buckets that you rotate your books in and out of, so that there are less to get messy? Then you would only need one "set" of each color out at a time.

faire_jour
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:51 PM

This might help you: http://www.pinterest.com/hojostptstore/creative-classroom-organization-ideas/

Quoting Laurin283:

Possibly rotate the books, but I don't have that much space to store stuff, so I'd have to see where I could put them where they would be out of sight for the students.

I had been posting the spelling and vocab. lists.  Previously I'd just been hanging up samples/projects where I had space, no matter where that was...but I'd like to keep it cleaner and more organized, so I'd like some space to actually hang the projects.  I have 2 "mini-boards" per grade that I've created, but I'm not sure I'll be using them this year.

Quoting faire_jour:

soymujer
by Mikki on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:31 PM

I don't teach elementary so I hope you get ideas.  Have you tried Pinterest?

family in the van   Mom of four

mommy053008
by Maria on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:13 PM
I teach prek here is a bump
Laurin283
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 12:39 PM

I haven't visited pinterest in ages and now I remember why...it's overwhelming!  :)  Saw TONS of stuff I love; thanks for the reminder.

Quoting faire_jour:

This might help you: http://www.pinterest.com/hojostptstore/creative-classroom-organization-ideas/

Quoting Laurin283:

Quoting faire_jour:

Laurin283
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 6:49 PM

bump

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 7:34 PM
Maybe have a bucket for the kids to put any unsorted books in so the kids don't just throw them in any bucket. Then have 1 or 2 students sorts them back to correct bins as an end of the day chore.

We just moved into a brand new building. I have my room set up but who knows if it will work when kids are actually in the room. :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)