Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Advice Needed: I don t know if I should start my 12...

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 12:20 AM
  • 17 Replies

I don't know if I should start my 12 year old son on ADHD meds. I'm so confused and scared to put him on anything. He was diagnosed about eight months ago. Is there something else I should try first?

by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 12:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vermontmoms
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 12:25 AM
Yes, the Feingold diet! It was a life saver for my boys. Also remove gluten, soy and dairy for 6mths. I would bet $$ he won't need meds.
Bebeplus3
by New Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 12:28 AM

Thanks...I've never heard of it. I'll reserch it .

shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 1:06 AM
Have you tried anything else? I'm not too on the up and up about effective alternative treatments for ADHD, but I'd bet my left leg that there's a truck load of good literature out there on it.
LovlyRita
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 1:18 AM
1 mom liked this
ADHD kids are much more likely to try illegal drugs and have sex early because of their poor impulse control. He is at such a fragile age, why not try listening to your doctor and give him the best chance to get through these years. If you do not like how the medication works you can always stop giving them to him.
ljmom24
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 6:10 AM
We started ods in second grade and while we waited and tried behavior modification and dietary changers first part of my regrets that. For my peace of mind when those other things didn't work I knew he needed the medication but he had catching up to do acedemically once he started.

It was nearly impossible for him to concentrate and pay attention before. They had classroom modifications for him but still it's like a million things running through your head while teacher talking and it doesn't all sink in. Once he started and his head was clear there things he missed from before he had to catch up on.
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 7:28 AM
1 mom liked this
If you start meds, remember that finding the right med and dosage can take awhile. Be patient.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soymujer
by Mikki on Jul. 31, 2014 at 1:42 PM

My youngest is ADD and was diagnosed in 1st grade.  He's now in 3rd.  We decided to medicate.  He's not a zombie but he's able to focus now.  We only medicate during school or when I need him to focus.  Eventually, I want to try other ways but we thought this was what was best for him at the time.

family in the van   Mom of four

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Ds1 was diagnosed w/ ADHD in end gr, but we did not medicate until the summer before 6th gr. The difference is amazing- he's still his usual talkative, goofy self, but can concentrate in class better, and getting homework done is no longer a major battle. He is still a bit forgetful, but it's not a bad as it used to be.

Finding the right med and dosage can take some time, so if you go that route and the first one does not work, don't give up.

Jsanchez125
by Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 6:40 PM
My daughter is a complete mess in school. I learned after my 2nd year of difficulty that if i talk to the teacher before she even starts school that they can set up different things to help her. Last year went well. It's always a war doing homework. Sometimes 2 hours and she was only in 2nd grade. I did my best, but this 3rd grade year i think i might try to her more help. Her dr said they have something i can apply for where they give more time when testing. I forgot the name of it. We will see how the year goes. I hope she does not get behind.
vamaria
by on Aug. 2, 2014 at 1:51 AM

Meds can be a huge sanity saver for you both. That being said, there are things you can try along with them. Caffeine tends to calm them down. Playdough or silly putty can help with the fidgets. Having several colors of pens can help; they just switch colors when they need to refocus.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN