Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Multiple sports? What is your rule?

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:59 AM
  • 51 Replies
What do you do when your kids want to play multiple sports in one season? I have twins; one twin wants to do water polo and flag football. The other swims year-round (took 10th in the state last year), wants to play flag football and just made the elite basketball team for our area. I coach flag-football so dropping that one isn't really an option.

Flag football goes to middle of October, basketball goes to Nov 1st. Water polo goes to Nov 1st and swimming goes through March.

Grades are not an issue. They are going into 5th grade....

What do you do about multiple sports?
So what would you do if you were in my shoes?
by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 2:14 AM
All my sport age kids take martial arts and then they get to pick one extra sport. Lucky for us my kids love soccer and basketball and those sports don't go on at the same time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaddieLainesMom
by Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 2:52 AM

My DD is on the competition team for dance (which means multiple rehearsals year round), is in gymnastics, and does horseback riding on the weekends. For me, it's about seeing if doing all of the activities is plausible and then making sure DD is enjoying it, taking a genuine interest, and not feeling overwhelmed. She works hard at all of her activities, enjoys them, and has a blast being able to do all three. To me, it makes the hectic schedule worth it! 

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Aug. 1, 2014 at 3:02 AM
We have a one sport per season rule. I work two jobs and I have four boys in sports.
aetrom
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 3:55 AM
We have a rule one sport one art a semester. That being said - in 5th grade i may change that if they can keep up with their work. How hard is it to get them to all the activities?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tinybluemoon
by Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 5:34 AM

I do all sports. If they want to do it, we do it. 

The only rule really is we don't allow sports on Fridays. I like them to have at least one normal day a week. Besides that I go all out.

PeachQuean
by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 5:41 AM
My kids.do

Bowling
Gymnastics
Swimming
Martial arts
Dance
Dd going into Army Cadets ( not a sport but an activity)
Other dd is in Cub Scouts
Other dd does swim and gym (she's 2.5) and she starts kick boxing in the fall as well as bowling and ballet.

My girls been in multiple stuff since 2.5/3 yrs old. They all started swimming lessons at 6 weeks old and never stopped.
ljmom24
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 6:12 AM
I generally have a one sport per season rule. They do karate but I don't count that because it's part of an after school program so the would be someplace at that time whether it's karate or not. Only thing is it can get out later then there other after school and it's father away and it can conflict with baseball in the spring.

Last spring ods wasn't planning on doing baseball so i signed both up for flag football. Little one was doing tball too but at his age it's not a lot. Tball is only Sunday morning and flag football was only Friday night. Oldest decided he wanted to do baseball after we committed to football so did both and never again. The once a week football turned out to be more when his football coach wanted practices that conflicted with baseball. 3 other kids on baseball team did football and that caused issues. Then because he couldn't make football practice because he had baseball games those nights his coach never played him. Now usually I have a no quit policy if you commit yiou finish but when his baseball coach wanted practices on football night and ds was tired if sitting and watching he wanted to baseball because they actually put him in.

This fall we are doing fall ball and dh wants them in hockey (it's learn to skate learn to play not travel) fall ball is only weekends (well I'm
Asking for more clarification before we have a repeat since it's in a different town so harder to get to after school if we have weeknight practices) and the skating is twice a week 1 weeknight and 1 weekend but the rink is adjacent to the ball field and would only overlap by 2 weeks. Plus hockey goes October to march so if the miss a day or two in October they get plenty the rest of the year.
mumsy2three
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 6:50 AM

My sons play only one sport per season. Both play football, both played basketball last year, my youngest plays baseball in the spring. My oldest usually takes a break in the spring but I am hoping he tries track/field in middle school this year.

mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 7:28 AM

We don't allow more than one sport. If you commit to the one sport, that is what you do until the contract expires.  We do that so they concentrate on the one activity, and we are not stretched too thinly as Dh can't take them to their ECA and I can't be in several different places. 

Both of our girls take Karate and our Dojo requires the parents/guardians to stay at the Dojo during class. This puts me at the Dojo for 4-5 hours 4-5 days per week between the 2 of them. We don't have time for anything else anyway. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

highlandmum
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 7:28 AM

My girls are able to as I know their schedule allows them to.  Dance is three times a week so they can pick up school sports.

However our son can only do hockey from August till beginning of May.  The reason for this is his hockey is four to five days a week and the days and times vary from week to week.  Plus he has extensive travel during this time - league game that are 3 hours away some weeks, three day tournaments requiring hotel stay.  Since this is such a commitment it would be unfair on a second team as the hockey would have to come first.  Now in spring/early summer he plays on a spring hockey team and a box lacrosse team as we only allow rec lacrosse the schedule permits him to have different sports.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN