Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Fraud!!!

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 11:16 AM
Max
  • 23 Replies

I tried to use my debit card yesterday and it was declined. I called my bank and they had locked the card because of suspicious activity.

Turns out 4 charges were made (well, attempted) in NJ and 2 more in Tennessee. I live in Fl. Most of them were declined because the bank locked the account.

I'm pretty freaked out about it. I didn't lose my card. So someone got my banking information and made cards with it. Charges were made hundreds of miles away from each other on the same day so obviously multiple cards were made.

The bank couldn't/wouldn't tell me how this could have possibly happened. Obviously I want to make sure my information is secure.

Does anyone have experience with this? Any tips?

by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momtimesx4
by Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Either your info was skimmed from a in person purchase, stolen from an online purchase or someone created a random number and it happen to hit your account.

Which is why we don't use our debit cards except at known ATMs.

mybabiesmom1
by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Go into the bank and get a new account.

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:20 PM

I had this happen a couple of weeks ago but it was only in one state. It was in Cali and I live in Ohio. I hope that your bank has cancelled  your card and issued a new one. Do you shop at Target? They seem to have a problem losing their customers' card info. Good luck and I hope it's straightened out soon. 

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:34 PM

This happened to me twice. Both times my card info was taken from a gas pump. Now I only use a gas card at the pump.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:43 PM
Normally I don't. But I did shop there last week. Hmmm....

Quoting momtoBrenna:

I had this happen a couple of weeks ago but it was only in one state. It was in Cali and I live in Ohio. I hope that your bank has cancelled  your card and issued a new one. Do you shop at Target? They seem to have a problem losing their customers' card info. Good luck and I hope it's straightened out soon. 

Dodie702
by Doriane on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:43 PM
This.

Quoting mybabiesmom1:

Go into the bank and get a new account.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:44 PM
How did they figure that out? I asked several people at the bank and they didn't have an explanation.

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

This happened to me twice. Both times my card info was taken from a gas pump. Now I only use a gas card at the pump.

Mommy_Jenx3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Yikes! Hopefully you are getting a new card. When all that Target stuff happened, I got a new card issued to me just because and never used my debit their again (always had cash for them, even though I know it can happen anywhere) until yesterday. I hope you get it all taken care of asap. 

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Aug. 1, 2014 at 1:16 PM

They didn't. I figured it out. The first time was at a small gas station while I was traveling. I didn't pay much attention at the time because it was a small station in the middle of no where BUT the panel was loose and when I entered my pin it said it was incorrect and instead of giving me a message to 'see the clerk' like most of them do, it had me re-enter my pin.
A friend of mine who is a computer forensic police officer told me that it was a classic card skim. When I got home, I had an email alert about the card. Almost immediately after I used my card at that gas station in Texas, the card was being used in NYC and NJ. The first $250 transaction at a CVS pharmacy no less went through and so did equal amounts at several other stores. The bank then flagged the account and  refunded the money to my account within a couple hours.

The second time was at the gas station that was near my house that I always used. The only reason I know it happened is because the girl that worked in the store told me that the police had been out the day before because the manager, while inspecting the pumps noticed a couple loose panels. When they investaged further, they found two of the panels had been tampered with. One was on the pump that I used and when I checked my account, I had several pending suspended transactions.

Quoting maxswolfsuit: How did they figure that out? I asked several people at the bank and they didn't have an explanation.
Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

KelliansMom
by Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 1:18 PM
That happened to my in laws , at two different gas stations.

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)