Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

DS wants a new name

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 1:28 PM
  • 63 Replies

My 7 yo DS is named August, we've always called him Augie. He's named after my grandpa who was called August most of the time, but was called Augie by some - which is part of why I picked that for a nickname when he was born (August sounded way too formal to me for a tiny newborn).

He just asked why I didn't pick August as his nickname and said he wants me, DH and his little brother to call him August from now on. I'm not surprised since he told me a few months ago that he was planning to go by August when he grew up.  I'll need some reminding, but its his decision! Plus, I obviously like the name since I chose it for him. :)

Right now he doesn't care what anyone else calls him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to be called August by everyone in not too long.

Have your kids ever decided they wanted to change what they are called?

by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Yes, both of my boys decided at one point to go back a shortened version of their names.  Nicholas goes by Nick and Zachary goes by Zach.  We initially spelled Zack with a "k", but he had a hard time writing "k"s in kindergarten and decided to change the spelling to Zach. lol  It is his name, so I didn't argue.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Aug. 3, 2014 at 1:39 PM

My sister was very adamant that we call her son Benjamin by his full name - Ben was not allowed!  We went along with it, but given how she handled being so adamant (it was more her attitude, she could have been nicer about reminders, but that's her personality), we all silently laughed when he started going by Ben in elementary school. lol

Parents do get the choice when the child is young, the child gets the choice when they are old enough to express an opinion. IMO anyway.

It seems like kids usually go to a shortened version of their name, not the more formal version. But he is his father's son - and his father definitely prefers the more formal ways of doing things (although he was fine with the nickname Augie).

Quoting steelcrazy:

Yes, both of my boys decided at one point to go back a shortened version of their names.  Nicholas goes by Nick and Zachary goes by Zach.  We initially spelled Zack with a "k", but he had a hard time writing "k"s in kindergarten and decided to change the spelling to Zach. lol  It is his name, so I didn't argue.

ljmom24
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 1:40 PM
My oldest has a short name my mom calls him li but only she can rest of us Liam or in camphor has a nickname based on our last name and they use it in baseball too.

My youngest is Jacob but we use jake however in school he declared he was Jacob. Now if he realized jake is smaller and he work need to write his name so many times (was a catholic school and big on handwriting) sure he would say my name is jay.

Dh is William as was us his dad but not jr or st so he was always little bill or billy. When he grew up he wanted to go by will. Which is confusing for me because we were teens and he was still bill so family and old friends go by bill but now he uses will but I still call him bill so some people don't get I mean him if I say bill to new friends or will to old ones.

When my youngest declared he was Jacob I said that's fine but to me you are always my jakey and it's either that or baby cakes.
mommy053008
by Maria on Aug. 3, 2014 at 1:40 PM
Madilyn my youngest likes to be called Madilyn since we've always called her that my.oldest is Kylie but she likes to go by Kylie Jade.
ljmom24
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 1:45 PM
I know a guy who named his son Henry but wanted everyone to call him hank. Well then name him hank because all his formal stuff will have Henry. My oldest has a friend John Thomas but they call him JT but their kindergarten teacher refused to use nick names. Same issue in 4th grade.

If I ever told my mom she couldn't call my kid a shorted version of a name shed probably slap me and never use the full name and just to infuriate me she'd call him
Bennie and to be honest I would do the same of someone was like that.

Quoting GwenMB:

My sister was very adamant that we call her son Benjamin by his full name - Ben was not allowed!  We went along with it, but given how she handled being so adamant (it was more her attitude, she could have been nicer about reminders, but that's her personality), we all silently laughed when he started going by Ben in elementary school. lol

Parents do get the choice when the child is young, the child gets the choice when they are old enough to express an opinion. IMO anyway.

It seems like kids usually go to a shortened version of their name, not the more formal version. But he is his father's son - and his father definitely prefers the more formal ways of doing things (although he was fine with the nickname Augie).

Quoting steelcrazy:

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 1:45 PM

My cousin's name is William Robert Lastname III, after his father and grandfather.  Grandpa was Bill, Dad was Bob, so cousin became Robbie.  In HS, the teachers and other students began calling him Bill since it was the sort version of his first name.  So his wife, her family, and their friends all call him Bill.  Yet to family he is either Rob or Robbie.  It just confusing all around.  lol  So I understand the confusion with your husband.

Quoting ljmom24: My oldest has a short name my mom calls him li but only she can rest of us Liam or in camphor has a nickname based on our last name and they use it in baseball too. My youngest is Jacob but we use jake however in school he declared he was Jacob. Now if he realized jake is smaller and he work need to write his name so many times (was a catholic school and big on handwriting) sure he would say my name is jay. Dh is William as was us his dad but not jr or st so he was always little bill or billy. When he grew up he wanted to go by will. Which is confusing for me because we were teens and he was still bill so family and old friends go by bill but now he uses will but I still call him bill so some people don't get I mean him if I say bill to new friends or will to old ones. When my youngest declared he was Jacob I said that's fine but to me you are always my jakey and it's either that or baby cakes.

mlg1989
by Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 1:47 PM
Nope. Haven't had that come up yet.
MamiJaAyla
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 1:58 PM
In kinder I tried changing my name period. Byt yes my k I'll bro was known as Francis wwheb he got to hs not surprisingly he decided he wabted a different nickname. .. I remember he was going fi r Damian his middle name but Cisco is what stuck. Now as adult (due to the song and some wierd look s) He uses Francisco sometimes
My dd insists on his full name at school... no Ja-Ja and only family can use Ja.
diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Aug. 3, 2014 at 2:00 PM

My oldest son is IV (4th). He is called the nickname of his name by everyone except my ex husband and I.
My ex husband was already called Little First Name Here by family members when I met him (we were teenagers) and now he is called Big First Name Here and my son is Little First Name Here. My ex husband and I have always just called our son by his first name, and always will.

My boys (with the exception of my oldest son) have names that you can not possibly make a nickname from. I didn't have a nickname and it was important to me that my boys don't have a nickname either.

ETA:

I have liked the name August since watching the movie August Rush years ago.

almburr
by Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 2:05 PM
My nephew is named Paul Ryan From the day he was born they called him Ryan.

Dd12 uses her nicknames more than her given name of Guienevere. She goes by Guiene or Ninnie or Nin. Never Guien.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)