Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Need help scheduling my children

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 5:31 PM
  • 20 Replies
1 mom liked this

My kids are 8 (third grade) 5 (kindergarten) 2 and 1week. Last year I had a problem scheduling just one school aged child. I am worried about having to schedule two. I have them in gymnastics at 5 two days a week. They leave for school at 8:45 am and arrive home around 4 pm. They have a snack then I want them to start homework, but on the gymnastics days they have to leave after snack. They don't get back until dinner (6:30) They have wind down time from whenever they finish dinner (usually around 7-7:15) and start getting ready for bed around 7:30. They are in bed by 8 and have lights out at 8:30. They can read from 8-8:30 if they would like but most nights my 5 year old falls asleep by 8:15 or so. Can someone please help me figure out when I can have them do homework on these nights! My house has never really run on a schedule and my sons grades suffered a little from it last year. He didn't always get his homework done or if he did it didn't get turned in for one reason or another. HELP!!! School doesn't start here until the beginning of September so I have some time, but I thought I would try to start the scheduling process now so we are in the habit when school does start. Advice?

by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 5:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aetrom
by Gold Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 5:38 PM
I would think either no wind down time till homework is done? Or, depending on how much they have do they have stuff they can do in the car? Or do they get up early enough to do it before school?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AJsMom81507
by Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 5:41 PM

the 8 year old should easily be able to do homework in the car or after dinner.

the 5 year old after dinner.  if they are too tired to do homework, then i would take them out of gymnastics.  grades before extra circular activities.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 6:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe do some homework while eating their snack?

Do homework after dinner; you just might have to give up that wind-down time.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Those two days they are just going to have to skip their wind down time and do homework. 

I will say that in 3rd grade they start to get a lot more homework. 

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 7:13 PM

My 8 year old is doing chorus and dance team this year.  Those 3 days dinner is quick and on the go a lot of the time or she eats when she gets home. Homework on chorus night will start in the car since we have a 20 minute drive each way; she can get any reading or studying spelling, etc done that way.  Written homework can be done while having a snack.  

Barabell
by Barbara on Aug. 3, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Usually have my son work on homework while dinner is being made. He could usually do his math homework with very little help and reading by himself by the time he was 8. 

The 5 year old will probably need more one-on-one time for homework. I'm not sure how much homework the 5 yo will have. My son had a weekly packet and nightly reading in kindergarten, and so I would assume you could read together during snack time for 20 minutes.

JoanahLee
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 8:26 PM

On gymnastics days I would have them start on their homework the moment they get home and have snacks already packed to eat in the car on the way to the gym. 

Also, plan super easy meals for those nights.  Crock pot or something you can make ahead so you can do dinner faster, clear the table and get the homework back out OR have super simple meals that won't be too messy and work on homework while you eat.  

If they are going to bed at 8:00 and don't have to leave for school till 8:45 the next morning I would imagine you could get a half hour of homework in before school as well. 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this

On gymnastics nights, they do homework immediately after dinner.  Homework needs to be done before they move on to anything else.

Also, leaving for school at 8:45, they should easily be able to sleep until nearly 8:00 in the morning.  Can their bedtime be moved back on those days?

soymujer
by Mikki on Aug. 3, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Not sure how you will work it but at our house, the homework gets done as soon as they get home from school.

family in the van   Mom of four

MommyHuman
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 9:13 PM

On gymnastic days, pick them up from school so they have snack time, a few minutes of down time, and time to start homework. If that's not possiable I would pull them out of gymnastics. Education is more important, and kids need a half hour of downtime after school just to burn of energy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN