Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

No Crayons or Colored Pencils :(

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 7:18 PM
  • 29 Replies
4 moms liked this

My baby is going into 5th grade. The school supply list doesn't have crayons or colored pencils. I'm glad he's growing up, but it makes me sad at the same time...

by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 7:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barabell
by Barbara on Aug. 3, 2014 at 7:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Awww...

My suggestion is to still buy some while they're on sale for projects, especially if you wouldn't have any around the house otherwise. My son still needed colored pencils and markers in 5th, but just for projects at home. 

GwenMB
by Gwen on Aug. 3, 2014 at 7:59 PM

That is a milestone!

I agree that having something around to use for projects at home is a good idea.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Awww. . .

Luckily, my 5th grader's list still has markers and crayons on it. Even ds1, going into 10th gr, needed either markers or colored pencils (forget which) last yr for Spanish class.

confused0701
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 8:03 PM

He'll still need them for projects, so I would get them now while they are cheap for around the house for those projects!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 8:06 PM
Sad to not have colors and fun anymore. We still use crayons, markers and colored pencils for all three kids in grades 6, 9 & 11!
PinkButterfly66
by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 8:13 PM

My kid used markers and colored pencils in 5th grade.

DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 8:36 PM

It is likely that he just doesn't need a personal set, but  they will still use them in class for maps, graphs, and projects.  I teach 6th and our kids used colored pencils all the time.  Crayons, no.  Markers, occasionally, but we still do a lot with colored pencils.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 8:40 PM

My 8th grader needs crayons and colored pencils, they use them frequently in science class and world cultures.

soymujer
by Mikki on Aug. 3, 2014 at 8:57 PM

I'd still buy some for home for just in case!

family in the van   Mom of four

MommyHuman
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 9:07 PM

That's weird. In 5th grade I still needed colored pencils and markers. In the 5th grade list where my kids go require pencils. I would still keep those and markers on hand. You never know when they'll have to make a poster or something. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)