Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

School starts at WHAT time?!

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:46 PM
  • 84 Replies

Just got an email, the school district have changed the start times. High school starts at 9, middle starts at 8:30, intermediate starts at 7:45, and elementary starts at 7:15 . I have 2 elementary kids, and I think 7:15 is crazy early to start. Shouldn't high school start earlier? Is it just me being used to the 8:30 start? What time does your child's school start?

by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:47 PM
It is actually easier for the younger kids to be up at that hour. Not to mention that some schools have practices for music and sports before school
thatonemomof2
by Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:51 PM
My kids are elementary and they startat 8:30
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JulesFairy
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:55 PM
Our elementary start at 8:30. No idea for midde and high schools. Growing up high school started at 7:20 elementary at 8:10 & middle at 9. That way highschoolers with jobs were off earliest.
Matthews12
by Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:55 PM

That's how it was last year for us. I'm just not thrilled with how early we'll have to be up. I have a 1st grader and kindergardner and they aren't morning people, lol. But I have to get up, get ready, get them up and ready, make breakfast and pack lunches, and then the 15 min drive to school. I also like them being about 10 mins early. So I'll have to be up at 5:30 and the kids 6:00

Quoting thatonemomof2: My kids are elementary and they startat 8:30

MagicTemptation
by Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Our district  where I lived before, did things the other way around. Higher grades started earlier so they could get out earlier. Many families had older children who watched the younger ones after school. The district tried to change it one year and it angered many parents who relied on their older children to get the younger ones from school. 

All my kids are elementary, they start at 8:30.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 11:18 PM

Middle and HS starts at 7:45, elementary starts at 8:45.  It has been this way for 25 years or so.

nebcutie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Not going to lie...my dd would ask to change schools and there is a good chance i would say yes cause neither one of us could do 7:15. Lol
Wendi2247
by New Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 11:23 PM
My DD is in elementary and her school starts at 7:45, but they prefer your child be there by 7:30. I thought that was way early too but after 2 years of it I actually prefer it.

I just found out today actually that the middle and high schools in my area start at 9:15 and they get out after 4:30! That is nuts to me!! We just moved to this area in January, the schools in the area we lived before weren't like that. It's only an hour away but things are done so differently between the 2 areas. I remember when school started around 8:30 for all ages, elementary got out around 2:15 and middle and high schools around 3:30. That's the way it was for many, many years. Craziness!
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 11:31 PM
Thank God for the right to homeschool!

We get up between 8-9am and school starts between 9-10am.
lovemytwo88
by Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 11:33 PM
No way....my DD is not an early riser and i would be so mad. Her school doesnt start til 9:10
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)