Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

After School Care for Neighbor's Kid

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 10:40 PM
  • 22 Replies

My neighbor has hinted about me watching her kindergardener after school.  She is not sure of her schedule yet (new job as EMT).  She said she would pay and it would only be about 45- min to an hour til her husband gets home.  I am having some reservations about it--

1) kid is not a good listener, she is VERY active, not a shy quite type at all,  2) my 2nd grade son would hate it (although my 3 yr old girl would love it) 3) we bike to school (drive in winter) since no bus transportation and the last two years I have car pooled with another mom so that would be out  4) the husband is not most resonsible and I could see him making stops (grocery, dinner) on the way home because it would be easier without the kids (3yr old will be at daycare and dad would pick him up first)

We definately could use the money, but not sure it is worth it.  We will have some new expenses pre-school for our 3yr old and would like to put her in dance.

Our afterschool care is about $200 a month so say $50 a week and they are open til 6p (2hrs after school)

Should I do it?  What would be a fair price to charge? 

by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 10:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barabell
by Barbara on Aug. 4, 2014 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this

You have to weigh whehter the lack of commitment or having the money is more important to you. This is a decision that you would know which would be more valuable to you. 

In terms of what to charge, I think it should be less than the $50 a week because the school afterschool care is probably licensed and you wouldn't be. (I don't know what the regulations are in your area...)

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 10:53 PM
2 moms liked this

Make a list of the pros and cons.  Honestly, this is one of those situations where there isn't a right or wrong answer.  You have to do what is right for your family.  My only bit of advice is to include your husband in the decision making process because it will have an impact on his life, even if he isn't home when the neighbor kid is there.

aetrom
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 4:17 AM
I would weigh the pros and cons and decide.

One thing to add is spintaneous trips would be postponed until they picked up their kid. Not a big deal but i know some people would take a long weekend right after school friday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 7:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with the previous posters. Weigh the pros and cons. If you do decide to go ahead and do it, then make sure that you have ALL expectations in WRITING and signed by BOTH parents.

Bronwynnm
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:11 AM
2 moms liked this

I would be cautious about it being a neighbor. If things didn't work out, there could be hard feelings and a lot of awkwardness. Uless you really need the money, I don't think it would be worth it.

megsam213
by New Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:15 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't do it.  I have a similar arrangement with my SIL, I've been watching her three kids for about 3 months now.  I feel she is taking terrible advantage of me, and this is FAMILY.  I'm imagining how much worse it could be with only a neighbor, but I admit I'm a pessimist, lol.

dominic062407
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:18 AM
I would do it if I had a written contract signed about hours and pay and such.
Memere60
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:20 AM

I wouldn't do it. From what you've said, this child could be very difficult to deal with. How are you going to handle that? I babysat kids in my home for the extra money, and it wasn't worth it. 

nebcutie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:22 AM
I would not do it...to me your cons out do your pros...why money would be helpful it would not in this case. If it is only an hour a day at most then you are looking at maybe $5 for that hour (to me that is what it would be at most here) come winter and no car pool there is your gas that you will be using plus snack after school. So you really will not make anything.
STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:37 AM
1 mom liked this

so she is looking to come in cheaper than the afterschool care?  Or is she concerned about the flexibility?  You have acknowleged that her husband is not always responsible... how long before he starts doing more and more and getting to your house later and later? 

Keep in mind that if you take this on, it will seriously cut into YOUR flexibility to do things with your own children, because you will have in tow an "active" kindergartener who does not mind.  Plus, it will affect your ability to carpool... I would just tell her that your schedule does not permit it and leave it at that.  If I did do it I can't imagine doing it for less than what the aftercare is already charging...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)