Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

It's a Chore

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 11:30 AM
  • 26 Replies

I have girls 7 and 9 and they hate doing chores.  What do your kids do for chores and do you give an allowance.  If so how much do you give them?

by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 11:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 11:36 AM

My boys have been doing chores since they were toddlers.  It began with them cleaning up their toys and has developed from there.  They are competely responsible for their own rooms and toys.  They are also responsible for cleaning the family room and their bathroom.  They also help with yard work - mowing the lawn, raking leaves, cleaning up after the dog, shoveling snow.

The do not get an allowance because I don't get an allowance for doing my chores either.  We all live here and we all pitch in to make it a nice place to live.  In our house, you can't do any fun activities or play until the chores are done.  Since it has been this way since they were very young, there is no arguement.  It is completely normal to them.  I have no idea how to get an older child on board with chores.

Osstie
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 11:39 AM
We have a chore chart. I put up what they need to do everyday on a white board, and they can have their screen time when it's finished. If it isn't done, then no screen. It makes it so that I don't have to nag, and I think it really drives home that idea of being responsible and self reliant.
toriandgrace
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this
We use an iPad app called Chore Monster. I add chores, assign values and create rewards and she looks on the iPad to see what chores she needs to complete and marks them off when completed. I gave her a choice of either money or special activities for her rewards and she chose special activities. Currently, she makes her bed, cleans her bedroom, clears the table and feeds the dogs. Once a week she helps clean the bathroom and vacuums.
BonitaM
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:08 PM

DD has to clean her room on Saturdays, help with prep work and baking on Sundays, and everyday after school put her things away and empty the dishwasher.  She gets $5/week if she does all of her chores.

jaytee
by Jen on Aug. 5, 2014 at 2:36 PM
My kiddos do what I ask them to do (unwillingly sometimes) no allowance.
lisahappymom
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 3:23 PM

My kids are 5 & 3, and they do small chores like help load/unload the diswasher.  When they are older they will have chores because they are contributing members of the house, and an allowance for the same reason.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 3:29 PM

I kinda sorta add allowance in there.  Here is the deal,

I have two 8 year olds (twins) and an 11 year old.  Besides keeping their room clean and picking up after themselves daily, they have a daily chore and a chore they must do once per week.  During the school year, they don't get to watch TV until 7pm but ONLY if their homework is done, they are done with dinner, and their chores are done. 

On top of that, they get to put 1 marble in their jar for doing a chore, showing good behavior, reading for 15 minutes (or more), and practicing a sport or instrument for 15 minutes or more.  Basically, 10 marbles equals $1 (each marble is 10 cents).  I will pay them once per month.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Now.....even before this marbles deal that I had, here is my philosophy with anything they need to do......

You get __________ when you ____________. 

Bottomline, if they want to watch TV, play on the computer, go outside, or do whatever they WANT, they HAVE to do whatever I need them to do.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 4:23 PM
2 moms liked this
We do chores and responsibilities. Chores are things we pay for that dh and I feel are our job as parents. Responsibilities are things that every person is responsible for as part of the family.

Cleaning ypur room, picking up your stuff, helping set clear the table, (everyone eats everyone helps) grocery shopping are responsibilities. The kids sort and put away their own laundry.

Things I pay for are load/unload dishwasher, sweep, vaccuum, cpean bathrooms, etc. I do pay for feeding my dog because she is a working dog, and the family cat but DD is responsible for her Christmas kitten
mommy053008
by Maria on Aug. 5, 2014 at 5:54 PM
No allowance both girls must clean their playroom and room daily (make sure things are off the floor) my oldest takes out all the bathroom trash once a week.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN