Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Another First Year Teacher! * UPDATE* I met her.

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:27 PM
  • 45 Replies

This is just a vent and I do know that some first year teachers are naturally talented but I admit to feeling frustrated.

My son is entering third grade and this will be the second year in a row that he has a first year teacher. Last year the teacher didn't have control over the class and seemed more interested in planning her wedding than teaching. I'm just worried that for the second consecutive year he has a brand new teacher.

In kindergarten he had a second year teacher but she was extraordinary. I can't put into words how good she was. I guess because it's a new school they have new teachers. The experienced teachers are established at their schools. It makes me uneasy.

Anyone have any experiences with first year teachers?

by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NeonGirl9583
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:30 PM
I love them.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Both of my boys have had first year teachers, and no they weren't as experienced as a seasoned veteran teacher, but they were both good teachers.  It takes everyone time to get used to a new job, learn the ins and outs and just because one was bad doesn't mean that this one necessarily will.

Our school had 6 teachers retire as well as our superintendant, who was there for 16 years.  Our elementary principal, who was in that job for 15 years, became superintendant and one of our teachers is now elementary principal.  All that to say that we have 7 new to us teachers.  I know that most of them aren't new to teaching though.  I know one personally and he's been teaching for 14 years.

KreatingMe
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:32 PM
Quoting NeonGirl9583: I love them.

Why?

NeonGirl9583
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:35 PM
They are the nicest, and they don't pick favorite students. Old teachers are set in their ways and have teacher pets.

Quoting KreatingMe:
Quoting NeonGirl9583: I love them.

Why?

Mama2ETA
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:36 PM

I tend to love new teachers because they have fresh eyes and techniques. I wouldn't be frustrated at all with this coming year.

KreatingMe
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:37 PM

I know they have to start somewhere, I just wish that they didn't have so many inexperienced teachers. I would rather they not be learning on the job , practicing on his education. These teachers are and were new to teaching not just the school.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Both of my boys have had first year teachers, and no they weren't as experienced as a seasoned veteran teacher, but they were both good teachers.  It takes everyone time to get used to a new job, learn the ins and outs and just because one was bad doesn't mean that this one necessarily will.

Our school had 6 teachers retire as well as our superintendant, who was there for 16 years.  Our elementary principal, who was in that job for 15 years, became superintendant and one of our teachers is now elementary principal.  All that to say that we have 7 new to us teachers.  I know that most of them aren't new to teaching though.  I know one personally and he's been teaching for 14 years.

KreatingMe
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Thanks for your perspective. I mean that. I hope it will be a good year.

Quoting Mama2ETA:

I tend to love new teachers because they have fresh eyes and techniques. I wouldn't be frustrated at all with this coming year.

Mama2ETA
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Just remember that the school year is what you make of it. If you go in looking for something or expecting something to be wrong, it will be. You (general) can always find something wrong. Just be happy and know this year will be great. We had a hard year last year. That year is over. Even if my younger son gets the same teacher my ODS had last year, we will be in a new year and I have to know things will be better. It will all work out. Glad I could help. Hope your 3rd grader has a great year too! I have a 3rd, 2nd, and Kindergartener. It will be a crazy wild year!

Quoting KreatingMe:

Thanks for your perspective. I mean that. I hope it will be a good year.

Quoting Mama2ETA:

ljmom24
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 9:00 PM
My oldest has had 2 last year and and in first grade and they were both 2 of the best teachers he has had. The worst was a teacher with other 30 years she was done and just counting down until retirement at end of year. That was his second teacher retire but first was a totally different attitude. Just like every profession there are people who are good at their jobs and others that coast by. Whether she was a first year or fifth year if she doesn't have a great work ethics it's going to reflect in the way their class is run.

Depending on your state licensing laws chances are this is not the first classroom she has stepped foot in. Most require significant hours as a student teacher before they are just thrown in a class.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 9:09 PM
I try not to go here....but....
Thank God we homeschool!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN