Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

what do i do?!?!

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:18 PM
  • 17 Replies

The county we live in is ranked pretty poorly for the state, being military its not like we can just pick up and move! Private schools are out of the question and charter schools are FULL. The school we are zoned for is ranked HORRIBLY!!!!!!! My daughter will be in kindergarten so its the beginning of the whole school thing, so im concerned of a bad experience and it making school a negative experience! My biggest concern being 1. she will be minority, 1.9% 2. the standards are horrible 3. the entire county doesnt seemed concerned about the poor education system here!  so all in all my big question is where do i begin to raise some sort of awareness or start some changes for this faulty education system?!?!?

by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mama2ETA
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:45 PM
3 moms liked this

My 1st piece of advice would be to calm down. lol. 2nd, I would say to not go into the year judging every little thing. It is a bad idea and will make for a miserable year. 3rd, volunteer in the classroom, work with your daughter at home and be grateful we have a public school system at all. Being involved in your child's education is super important.  Remember that you cannot change everything, and if you can't move, you have to work with what you have and being involved can help. Just don't go in being pushy and demanding. That will get you nowhere fast.

toriandgrace
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:45 PM
All of my military friends have chosen to live a ways from base so that they could choose their school district. When my husband was active, we lived a half hour from base, friends of ours lived over an hour away. Could you move a little ways away?
lizfnf
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:56 PM
Are you guys stationed at Ft. Stewart? The schools were terrible when we lived there. Thankfully our daughter was a baby so it wasn't an issue for us. I would send her to the school and hope for the best. I had a terrible kindergarten teacher and I turned out ok. Definitely volunteer in the school. It makes a difference when the staff knows who you are.
aj23
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 1:03 AM
1 mom liked this
Rank isn't necessarily a good indicator. We have a school here that is ranked low but it has a very high esl population. The individual classes are great but over all they had low average scores. Also most ratings online are older so they don't reflect recent changes that may have changed things for the better. Volunteer at the school then make your judgements on it.
JanetteA
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 1:33 AM

You are describing our life 12 years ago.  Military family, bad schools, the whole bit.  The good news is, it's just kindergarten.   You can easily teach whatever she doesn't get at school.  The really bad stuff at low-rated schools happpens in middle and high school. 

Just do a lot of research when you move the next time.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Aug. 6, 2014 at 3:43 AM
1 mom liked this

The number one indicator of student success is parental involvement. Regardless of what kind of school your child is in, you should be involved in her education.

volunteer, get involved w the PTA, get to know the teachers etc, attend school board meetings. That's how you'll find out what might need changing and perhaps what to do.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Aug. 6, 2014 at 7:12 AM

That's what I was going to say. School rankings don't always give the most accurate picture.

Quoting JanetteA:

You are describing our life 12 years ago.  Military family, bad schools, the whole bit.  The good news is, it's just kindergarten.   You can easily teach whatever she doesn't get at school.  The really bad stuff at low-rated schools happpens in middle and high school. 

Just do a lot of research when you move the next time.

MommyHuman
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Homeschool.

soymujer
by Mikki on Aug. 6, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Agree with this.

Quoting Mama2ETA:

My 1st piece of advice would be to calm down. lol. 2nd, I would say to not go into the year judging every little thing. It is a bad idea and will make for a miserable year. 3rd, volunteer in the classroom, work with your daughter at home and be grateful we have a public school system at all. Being involved in your child's education is super important.  Remember that you cannot change everything, and if you can't move, you have to work with what you have and being involved can help. Just don't go in being pushy and demanding. That will get you nowhere fast.

family in the van   Mom of four

NeonGirl9583
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 12:41 PM
Our schools are the poorest in the state. The teachers and staff are awesome though. Here's a bump for you.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)