Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Open House

Posted by on Aug. 9, 2014 at 3:05 PM
  • 113 Replies
1 mom liked this

My daughter has open house Monday! School starts Wednesday! She is so excited to meet her teacher and drop off her supplies and see her new classroom. Open house, for us, is just to browse, buy spirit wear if we want, get car line numbers, and get the lunch menu and to drop off all school supplies.

We also have parent night at the end of the month. It is where you get general information about the class, expectations for the students, and get to hear the plan for the whole school year and get introduced to all the grade level teachers. 

Does your school have open house? How far in advance does your school do it? Last years ours was a week before school started now it's just two days. 

by on Aug. 9, 2014 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hershey6
by Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 3:09 PM
That is exactly how ours is- open house was last night (school started Monday) and we got to meet the teacher, see the classroom, drop off supplies, and update our license in the security system. We have a back to school night about 3 weeks into the school year for the parents to go and get more information from the teacher on the curriculum and how the classroom operates and such.

I love how they have these set up and it seems to work really well.
mommy053008
by Maria on Aug. 9, 2014 at 3:11 PM

sounds just like our school! It runs so much smoother than trying to fit it all in one night (my sister's kids school does it and it is a nightmare) I forgot to mention that we also meet the teacher on open house lol but I fiugred that was a given! 

Quoting hershey6: That is exactly how ours is- open house was last night (school started Monday) and we got to meet the teacher, see the classroom, drop off supplies, and update our license in the security system. We have a back to school night about 3 weeks into the school year for the parents to go and get more information from the teacher on the curriculum and how the classroom operates and such. I love how they have these set up and it seems to work really well.

mischele
by Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 3:13 PM
Open house is aug 21 and school starts aug 25. So excited for it that's for sure. Just have to make it to two schools in 2 hours
hershey6
by Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 3:14 PM
I think it helps the kids get excited for school too and that way they know where they are going and what to expect the first day.

Quoting mommy053008:

sounds just like our school! It runs so much smoother than trying to fit it all in one night (my sister's kids school does it and it is a nightmare) I forgot to mention that we also meet the teacher on open house lol but I fiugred that was a given! 

Quoting hershey6: That is exactly how ours is- open house was last night (school started Monday) and we got to meet the teacher, see the classroom, drop off supplies, and update our license in the security system. We have a back to school night about 3 weeks into the school year for the parents to go and get more information from the teacher on the curriculum and how the classroom operates and such.

I love how they have these set up and it seems to work really well.

huskermom98
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Usually two days before school starts we have a Meet the Teacher night where the kids get to see their classroom, meet the teacher, drop off supplies, and sign up for PTA.  I'm guessing that might be when people find out bus info, but I don't know since we don't ride the bus.  There are also always people still registering their kids on that night...

MommyHuman
by Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Ours does a Meet the Teacher Night for the lower grades. The kids come in, see the room, pick their seats, and talk to the teacher. The teacher gives an info packet to the parents, and some " homework" to review with the students. Parents can talk to each other, kids can play, and it's just a casual openhouse thing where you can stay the whole time, or a few minutes.

We do a circulum night shortly after the start of the school year. Plus they have open houses year round for prospective students.

mommy053008
by Maria on Aug. 9, 2014 at 3:23 PM

oh man! my DDs school is prek-12th (just opened prek this year) so we hopefully will never have to deal with that as long as they stay enrolled where they are. good luck! 

Quoting mischele: Open house is aug 21 and school starts aug 25. So excited for it that's for sure. Just have to make it to two schools in 2 hours

mommy053008
by Maria on Aug. 9, 2014 at 3:24 PM

oh absolutely! 

Quoting hershey6: I think it helps the kids get excited for school too and that way they know where they are going and what to expect the first day.
Quoting mommy053008:

Quoting hershey6: That is exactly how ours is- open house was last night (school started Monday) and we got to meet the teacher, see the classroom, drop off supplies, and update our license in the security system. We have a back to school night about 3 weeks into the school year for the parents to go and get more information from the teacher on the curriculum and how the classroom operates and such. I love how they have these set up and it seems to work really well.

mommy053008
by Maria on Aug. 9, 2014 at 3:25 PM

registration at my daughter's school closes in July. The only time it stays open is if a class isn't full, but every year we have been it has filled up quickly. she has as bus at her school but it is very small and not very many people ride it.

Quoting huskermom98:

Usually two days before school starts we have a Meet the Teacher night where the kids get to see their classroom, meet the teacher, drop off supplies, and sign up for PTA.  I'm guessing that might be when people find out bus info, but I don't know since we don't ride the bus.  There are also always people still registering their kids on that night...

mommy053008
by Maria on Aug. 9, 2014 at 3:26 PM

that's cool too! 

Quoting MommyHuman:

Ours does a Meet the Teacher Night for the lower grades. The kids come in, see the room, pick their seats, and talk to the teacher. The teacher gives an info packet to the parents, and some " homework" to review with the students. Parents can talk to each other, kids can play, and it's just a casual openhouse thing where you can stay the whole time, or a few minutes.

We do a circulum night shortly after the start of the school year. Plus they have open houses year round for prospective students.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)