Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

National S'mores Day!

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:24 PM
  • 8 Replies

Date When Celebrated: Always on August 10th

S'mores are a favorite campsite treat for young and old kids. If you're at a campfire, chances are, there's S'mores. Sticky and gooey, and loaded with sugar and carbs, S'mores are nothing short of delicious. Who was the first person to create S'mores? We don't know. But, we're all sure glad they did!

National S'mores Day celebrates this tasty summer treat. It's appropriately observed in August...campfire prime time. Don't limit your consumption of S'ores to the campfire. They are popular with kids year round, and can be baked in the oven, or microwave.

The origin of S'mores dates back to the 1920's. It's believed the recipe was created by the Campfire Girls. Girl Scouts soon discovered it, and found it to be choclatey delicious.  Before long, S'mores became a campfire staple for everyone. S'more folklore suggests that S'mores got its name right by the campfire. After eating one, young kids chanted "gimme some more!"

Do you like s'mores? How about your kids? Any variations you like?

by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
soymujer
by Mikki on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:42 PM

All but my hubby loves smores.  I wish I could get some wood so we could fire up the fire pit and make smores. 

family in the van   Mom of four

huskermom98
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:48 PM

I LOVE LOVE LOVE smores!  I've always been a purist--regular marshmallow (lightly browned...not black), 3 rectangles of Hersheys, and 2 graham cracker squares.  Last year though my brother made some homemade marshmallows for the 4th of July weekend and had some flavored ones (caramel, strawberry, etc.) and those were really good too!  The huge marshmallows don't work as well as you'd think because by the time the middle is gooey the outside is black, plus they are just too big for s'mores.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:39 PM

You can do them in the microwave- assemble and heat for about 20 seconds. Not quite the same as a campfire s'more, but better than nothing!

Quoting soymujer:

All but my hubby loves smores.  I wish I could get some wood so we could fire up the fire pit and make smores. 

soymujer
by Mikki on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:45 PM

True but nothing beats them over a fire!  And besides, we just got a foreign exchange student and we have to break him in right!!

Quoting wakymom:

You can do them in the microwave- assemble and heat for about 20 seconds. Not quite the same as a campfire s'more, but better than nothing!

Quoting soymujer:

family in the van   Mom of four

mangie22
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:55 AM
Everyone in my.family love smores! I have had them with instead of the little squares of chocolate you can, use Reeses peanut butter cups! That was pretty tasty!
CometGirl
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 8:00 AM

We had a Girl Scout cook out yesterday just because it was National S'mores Day!  I collect different recipes of s'mores even though I just prefer a roasted marshmallow.

jaytee
by Jen on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Love s'mores! I want to try them with a Reese's cup instead of a plain chocolate bar

Dodie702
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:55 AM
S'mores are ok. They are a little on the sweet side to me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)