Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Changing child's teacher??

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 8:10 PM
  • 30 Replies

My daughter is going into 2nd grade this year. She didn't go to kindergarten at the public school, so this is her second year at the elementary school. Last year, her teacher had a baby a month into the year and was gone for two months. My daughter is very sensitive (she's been through some personal stuff that I'd prefer not to discuss here, but it's hard for her to trust adults) so all of the changes threw her off and she had a tough year, even though she had no trouble with the material. It was just very emotional for her. I had high hopes for this year, but I just received a letter informing us that the teacher she's been assigned for second grade is pregnant, due September 17th. So it will be the exact same situation as last year!! 

Would you you try to change teachers? Is that even possible? 

by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 8:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DinoBug5959
by New Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 8:11 PM
3 moms liked this

No, I wouldn't try to change teachers. As much as your daughter may be uncomfortable with it, she's going to have to get used to it eventually. Besides, the teacher will be back and it's not like it's a substitue that will only be there for a day. Teachers come and go and she can't always been switching classes as a safety net. 

la-cosa-nostra
by New Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 8:13 PM

I might agree if we were a few years into it, but her second year after an extremely difficult first year and the same exact problem? I feel like I'm setting her up for failure. 

Quoting DinoBug5959:

No, I wouldn't try to change teachers. As much as your daughter may be uncomfortable with it, she's going to have to get used to it eventually. Besides, the teacher will be back and it's not like it's a substitue that will only be there for a day. Teachers come and go and she can't always been switching classes as a safety net. 

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 8:15 PM

I would be very shocked if you were allowed to change teachers based on this. 

Sigmalade
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 8:17 PM

I would ask if you could switch and explain to the principal the reason. Some school do and some don't, but at least with asking you can say you tried. I hope she has a great year no matter who she is with. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Aug. 12, 2014 at 8:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Having a teacher out on maternity leave isn't ideal for anyone. It's just something students have to cope with.

You could ask to have her switched based on the fact that it's the second year in a row. But I would also be very surprised if it was allowed.

Karmahappens
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Good Luck. My son was a terrible fit with his teacher last year. They refused to let him switch. long story short-as a result he is now bussed out of district to another school at a cost of over 50K a year-which the school has to pay for.

And the school is lucky I didn't sue them over the issue.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 8:35 PM
2 moms liked this

That is not a reason my principal would change a child's class. Your daughter needs to learn to deal with that sort of thing. It will happen a lot, especially in elementary school.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Given the emotional issues going on w/ her, you can ask, but be prepared to be told no. Schools are very reluctant to change teachers b/c they put a lot of thought into which teachers they think will be the best fit for each child (at least ours do).

Miller0305
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 8:41 PM
I would ask. I got my DD's teacher changed this year because the assigned teacher was new to the school and I wanted the teacher my son had in that grade. The school isn't obligated to change it but it won't hurt to ask.
mommy053008
by Maria on Aug. 12, 2014 at 9:13 PM
They wouldn't allow that at our school
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN