Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teacher moms help!

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:09 AM
  • 26 Replies
My oldest is entering K. I wanted her to go to her own school. Have her own friends, own experiences everything. I didn't want her to come to school with me. I wanted the separation. I feel it's healthier for all parties. Also we don't teach each other's kids. When we have it's always been a problem for everyone.

I'm now reconsidering bc it would so much easier if she was with me. I could drop her off and pick her up. Pick up is a big deal....

What would you do? Did you take your child to your school? Why or why not?
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Emily197
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:29 PM

I don't see it as an issue do you teach Kindergarten?

When my daughter was in Kindergarten her teachers son was also in kindergarten he was in my daughters class and his mom was his teacher. she did wonderfully with it. she treated him like she would any other student. I know some parents didn't like it at first thinking she would favor her child but it didn't happen, I did a lot of work in class with her and if it wasn't for the fact she told us he was her son I wouldn't have known. I think it would be difficult to have them in a different school while you are working its an unnecessary extra challenge for you.

hma1216
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes I teach k.

Quoting Emily197:

I don't see it as an issue do you teach Kindergarten?

When my daughter was in Kindergarten her teachers son was also in kindergarten he was in my daughters class and his mom was his teacher. she did wonderfully with it. she treated him like she would any other student. I know some parents didn't like it at first thinking she would favor her child but it didn't happen, I did a lot of work in class with her and if it wasn't for the fact she told us he was her son I wouldn't have known. I think it would be difficult to have them in a different school while you are working its an unnecessary extra challenge for you.

ljmom24
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Not a teacher but my DS kindy teacher had her own kindergartner but not in her class. There were actually 2 teacher kids in that kindergarten class (other taught an older grade) Then mid year his aunt volunteered as a teachers aid but in his mom's class not his but sometimes they shared aids. It didn't seem to be an issue but it was a smaller private school. DS teacher had an older kid too. She lived in a different city then the school was in so I imagine thats part the issue plus she got free tuition and public schools in her city were a mess so doubt there was much debate over sending them there or not.

My SIL teaches but middle school and in another district. She does send her DD to a school with extended hours so pick up isn't an issue. Once a week she has to stay after school so she signed her DD up for afterschool that day.

There are probably plusses and minuses for each but you have to do what fits best for you. If getting her to and from school is an issue then your school might be the better fit. Not like you are going to be her teacher or anything. She can still have her own school experience and be seperate from you. While a little different then if you weren't there.

toriandgrace
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:44 PM
I teach my son preschool currently. Eventually I will teach high school at the same time my kids are in high school. I have no issue with my children going to my school (actually I prefer it) bit I prefer for them not to be in my class.
hma1216
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:51 PM
She has pick up. It's just not me picking get up.

Quoting ljmom24:

Not a teacher but my DS kindy teacher had her own kindergartner but not in her class. There were actually 2 teacher kids in that kindergarten class (other taught an older grade) Then mid year his aunt volunteered as a teachers aid but in his mom's class not his but sometimes they shared aids. It didn't seem to be an issue but it was a smaller private school. DS teacher had an older kid too. She lived in a different city then the school was in so I imagine thats part the issue plus she got free tuition and public schools in her city were a mess so doubt there was much debate over sending them there or not.

My SIL teaches but middle school and in another district. She does send her DD to a school with extended hours so pick up isn't an issue. Once a week she has to stay after school so she signed her DD up for afterschool that day.

There are probably plusses and minuses for each but you have to do what fits best for you. If getting her to and from school is an issue then your school might be the better fit. Not like you are going to be her teacher or anything. She can still have her own school experience and be seperate from you. While a little different then if you weren't there.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I have friends and relatives who are teachers and their kids were always at their school unless they taught in a bad area. Of the four I am close to, I know  one who kept her DD close to where she lived, out of her district, because it was a better area and her DH could handle drop off/pick up.

hma1216
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:11 PM
I teach in a rough area. Which is why I chose to move where I did. So my kids could go to that district.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I have friends and relatives who are teachers and their kids were always at their school unless they taught in a bad area. Of the four I am close to, I know  one who kept her DD close to where she lived, out of her district, because it was a better area and her DH could handle drop off/pick up.

hma1216
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:14 PM
It's rough. The teachers are good teachers. We just don't teach others kids. It has caused problems in the past. Not in the younger grades but about 4 grade to 6 grade. I don't want to start her here then move her to the school in our district when she gets older. But at the same time I don't want to miss anything :(

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:15 PM

I think you guys need to get over this "not teaching other's kids". It can be done successfully.

It isn't exactly the same but I am an Asst Scoutmster with a Boy scout Troop...Look at it as a School. The Troop is broken into Patrols - or classes.  We want our boys to be independent so we do NOT have our own kids in our Patrol but I have two of the other leader's boys in the patrol I am responsible for. It is rarely an issue. Their kids report to me and mine to them.

There are times we disagree, and things come up but we keep it professional in regards to the kids YET, we are great friends. We do't let it come between us.  I will admit, two of our boys got into a fight and it nearly broke us... arguing, tears, etc WE WORKED THROUGH it! The boys were not friends for a couple of years but we didn't let that get between us as leaders and friends.  The boys saw how it was handled and a few months ago, my boy asked about the boy he got in the fight with. I told him to call up and ask how he is doing. The boys was excited to hear from him and invited my DS over. They are now BFFs again! Will they fight again - two hormonal alpha males..probably! But we set a good example for them so I am not too worried.

I don't see why this would be an issue with adult, professional teachers in a school.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Life Scout Ian 1/98, 1st Class Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

sheramom4
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:18 PM

I teach electives at the school my younger two attend. They are even in my classes. And they TA for me in between so that I don't have to run them home. I don't mind it but I also don't have them in class with me every day. They attend a hybrid school and I teach one day per week. Then they have another day with a different teacher and are home via virtual school the rest of the week. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)