Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Teachers on Facebook

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:08 PM
  • 184 Replies
1 mom liked this

Do you think teachers should have Facebook pages? Do you think they should be friends with their students or parents of their students?

I am FB friends with several of my daughter's teachers, coaches, and principal. I never put much thought into the fact they are school officials.

However my MIL who also has a FB and is friends with her employees (something I do not agree with) thinks that teachers shouldn't have FB pages. She says it's unprofessional.

Facebook has reported that there has been a continuing decline of teenagers on FB. 3 Million in the last three years. Adults use Facebook more then over. My library, police station, hospital, city rec department, school district, and place of employment all have Facebook pages.

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mama2ETA
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:11 PM
12 moms liked this
Well, i think its unprofessional to be friends with students and parents but having a fb isnt solely unprofessional. There's a line that need to be drawn somewhere
DACIA79
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:15 PM
4 moms liked this
I don't see why people care about what teacher's do outside of school.

As for students being students being friends on their teachers page I thought you were supposed to be 18 to be on Facebook so it shouldn't be a issue.
Mama2ETA
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol like 13 or 14 for a fb

Quoting DACIA79: I don't see why people care about what teacher's do outside of school.

As for students being students being friends on their teachers page I thought you were supposed to be 18 to be on Facebook so it shouldn't be a issue.
Sydel

You have to be 13. A lot of my daughter's friends are on there and I decline and block them whenever they send me an invite. I also check my security settings on a weekly basis.

Quoting DACIA79: I don't see why people care about what teacher's do outside of school. As for students being students being friends on their teachers page I thought you were supposed to be 18 to be on Facebook so it shouldn't be a issue.

lizfnf
3 moms liked this

I would never friend any of my daughter's teachers on social media.  Maybe once after she was out of their class, but honestly I think both sides appreciate their privacy, I know I wouldn't want a casual acquaintance combing through my page, and I don't really care what a teacher does on their time off, so long as it doesn't land them in jail, or effect their ability to teach.

Sydel
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I buy scensty from my daughter's old prinicpal so that's how we ended up FB friends. The other ones I actually have friendships with. None of them are her current teachers though and we didn't become FB friends until after she moved on. I agree that their personal time is theirs.

Quoting lizfnf:

I would never friend any of my daughter's teachers on social media.  Maybe once after she was out of their class, but honestly I think both sides appreciate their privacy, I know I wouldn't want a casual acquaintance combing through my page, and I don't really care what a teacher does on their time off, so long as it doesn't land them in jail, or effect their ability to teach.

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:34 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't have a problem with teachers having a Facebook, but I would never become Facebook friends with my boys teachers, or the staff or administration at their schools.

lizfnf
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:36 PM
2 moms liked this
When you're actually friends then it's appropriate. I could imagine some loons using it as a way to spy though. From both sides. Haha

Quoting Sydel:

I buy scensty from my daughter's old prinicpal so that's how we ended up FB friends. The other ones I actually have friendships with. None of them are her current teachers though and we didn't become FB friends until after she moved on. I agree that their personal time is theirs.

Quoting lizfnf:

anotherandree
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:41 PM
4 moms liked this
My husband is a teacher and is NOT friends with any students or parents. Most of the other teachers he works with holds the same policy. While he does nothing inappropriate, he also doesn't want to ever have work related questions and comments show up on FB or have personal comments show up at work.
eztwins
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:44 PM
3 moms liked this
I have no issue with teachers having FB accts. they are entitled to the same outside life as me. However I do not think students and parents should friend teachers. They are entitled to their private lives away from me and my kids.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)