Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not the teacher we were expecting

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:34 PM
  • 5 Replies

My son had a teacher for math last year. I spoke with her at the end of the year and we all thought he would have her for homeroom this year. The paper that the school just sent says someone else. I don't suppose it matters, but I'm curious. He knows last year's teacher's style and routines. 

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:08 PM

This would be why none of our teachers will comment on who they think they might have in their class next yr; not even the high ability teachers who know they will get the high ability students.

Our teacher assignments are not made known until almost the last minute. We picked up ds1's high school schedule and ds2's middle school scedule the Tues before school started, and got the email telling us dd's 3rd gr teacher the Thurs before it started. They went back yesterday.

Verrine
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Thanks for responding. It's a silly concern. It's just that I know my son will take longer than everyone else to remember the new routines. Transitioning to middle school next year will be a mess. 

Quoting wakymom:

This would be why none of our teachers will comment on who they think they might have in their class next yr;

LovlyRita
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:18 PM
A couple of years ago two days before school started one child withdrew and sent the school into chaos. A teacher who had a split became one grade and the kids going into the split were placed into other classes which like dominos shifted kids all over the place. Enrollment numbers have a huge impact on teacher placements. When I taught, there was always a handful of people who showed up on the first day to enroll their kindergarten child which always messes up those carefully made class lists.
Verrine
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:36 PM

It must be awful dealing with projected kindergarten enrollment. My friend's daughter was in a K class of 28. Luckily, there was one aide. I'm sure there would have been fewer kids in that class if the school had known the numbers. 

There's a little part of me that thinks he must have done something wrong and the teacher said she didn't want him. I should have had more children and then I wouldn't obsess about minor things with this one!

Quoting LovlyRita: A couple of years ago two days before school started one child withdrew and sent the school into chaos. A teacher who had a split became one grade and the kids going into the split were placed into other classes which like dominos shifted kids all over the place. Enrollment numbers have a huge impact on teacher placements. When I taught, there was always a handful of people who showed up on the first day to enroll their kindergarten child which always messes up those carefully made class lists.
LovlyRita
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:59 PM
It's usually not that simple. As a teacher I did not make my class list. As a third grade team we'd place the kids into groups keeping boy/girl ratio, a mixture of reading levels, etc which were then approved by the Principal who may or may not move kids around and then assigned a list to the fourth grade teacher. He probably had no say in whom was assigned to his class.

Quoting Verrine:

It must be awful dealing with projected kindergarten enrollment. My friend's daughter was in a K class of 28. Luckily, there was one aide. I'm sure there would have been fewer kids in that class if the school had known the numbers. 

There's a little part of me that thinks he must have done something wrong and the teacher said she didn't want him. I should have had more children and then I wouldn't obsess about minor things with this one!

Quoting LovlyRita: A couple of years ago two days before school started one child withdrew and sent the school into chaos. A teacher who had a split became one grade and the kids going into the split were placed into other classes which like dominos shifted kids all over the place. Enrollment numbers have a huge impact on teacher placements. When I taught, there was always a handful of people who showed up on the first day to enroll their kindergarten child which always messes up those carefully made class lists.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)