Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School hasn't even started and already being asked to come in for a meeting

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:39 PM
  • 7 Replies
Dd is going into first grade and is starting a new school they closed 2 elementary schools last school year and build 2 new ones. She has food allergies when I found out who her teacher was going to be I got her email and sent a very detailed email about her food allergies and what I expect to be done just in case she does have an allergic reaction. Like being sent to the school nurse and me and or my mom receive a phone call which never happened last year at her old school there was just blame placed on my daughter. I only found out about allergic reactions after my mom picked her up and she seen the signs of an allergic reaction. And I gave her all mine and my mom contact information.

I received an email back from her teacher thanking me for the information and said she forward my email to the school nurse. Today I got an email back from the nurse and it was sent to me the principal and some other people. Asking me when I'm available for a meeting with her, the principle, and the food services people. And she said she already faxed the allergy paper work to dd dr. She hopes to making the transitiom to the new school as easy as possible. Appearently there has been some changes to food choices and she wants to go over them with me so we all are on the same page.

Last year I asked for a meeting several times and I was told no. It wasn't necessary and I just needed to get over the fact that they didn't care about dd food plan and allergy paper work. And dd just needed to read all labels before she ate anything. If it weren't for her teacher being on dd side I know we would of had a horrible year with several allergic reactions.

So far I'm very happy with the action the new school seems to be doing and dont feel like we are being pushed aside just cuz my dd has food allergies.
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:50 PM

good

Mocking.Jay
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:54 PM

It looks like the new school is on the right track. The previous year, you were denied, but at least they're trying to get this sorted out now. I hope they can accomodate you. I know how scary it is to deal with food allergies. My son was ruled out of a peanut allergy, but when he was diagnosed with it, it wasn't severe, however, the daycare he attended treated it the same which was very stressful on my budget since I had to supply his own snacks.

twoboysforus
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, it sounds like the school is covering all their bases. I know a few kids who have allergies and I can honestly say that I have never heard of planned meetings with the nurse, food prep workers etc. to discuss their allergy. So your LO's school is really going out of their way. 

diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:02 PM

I agree! I have a son with allergies, and I have never had a meeting to discuss his allergies with his teachers, the nurse, or food prep workers.

Quoting twoboysforus:

Well, it sounds like the school is covering all their bases. I know a few kids who have allergies and I can honestly say that I have never heard of planned meetings with the nurse, food prep workers etc. to discuss their allergy. So your LO's school is really going out of their way. 

kcook55
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:15 PM
I'm pretty sure that's a school district thing last year they hired a food service to change school lunches completely and change how they handle kids with food allergies. Also I believe the nurse at the school last year was an LPN and the nurse at this school is an RN that alone can make a huge differance. And some nurses school staff is just more caring about kids and about there overall health. The nurse last year HATED me cuz I called her out and told her its in the food plan and allergy paperwork and its in her medical record at her drs office. The new school may just be covering there butts I wasn't exactly nice about the way they handled dd and her allergies last year.

Quoting diaperstodating:

I agree! I have a son with allergies, and I have never had a meeting to discuss his allergies with his teachers, the nurse, or food prep workers.

Quoting twoboysforus:

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Aug. 14, 2014 at 6:17 AM

Awesome! It sounds like the new school will be great.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 7:41 AM

That is great! Love that they are so willing to work w/ you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)