Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Is this a waste of money?

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 6:22 AM
Max
  • 71 Replies

I was listening to the radio yesterday morning and the DJ was complaining about the millions of dollars a local school district was spending on renovating their schools.

Part of the money was being spent to install smart boards and amplification systems in elementary classrooms.

He was outraged about the waste of money. He said something like, "Why can't kids today learn with crayons and chalk like we did?"

Do you think this kind of technology in schools is a waste of money?

by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 6:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 6:37 AM
6 moms liked this
I don't think it's a waste of money. Our kids must learn how to use this technology. I'm sure it also makes teaching a little easier. The world isn't the same way it was 20 years ago so why would we teach our kids the same way.
Osstie
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 6:59 AM
No. Technology is important. Children will have to be comfortable with it on the job in the future.
cupcake_mom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 7:15 AM
Nope. Our school(same elem. school that I went to) has smart boards and the kids and teachers love them. Even the teachers that were there I was there like them.
notjstanothrmom
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 7:19 AM
I think they are good things to have but I can understand the frustration as a tax payer how in a financially strapped district how the spending could seem excessive.
KelliansMom
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 7:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Its not, that is the direction or society is going.  My husbands job just switched to smart boards and all paper maps are on the smart boards now.  

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 7:26 AM
Every classroom in DD's elementary school has one and the PTO paid for them, not the taxpayers.

Quoting notjstanothrmom: I think they are good things to have but I can understand the frustration as a tax payer how in a financially strapped district how the spending could seem excessive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ljmom24
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 7:28 AM
3 moms liked this

YDS school had them last year they are cool but depending on the state of your school budget I can see it as a waste. If you are laying off teachers or cutting salaries, have schools that are falling apart, out of date text books and so on then spend the money on those things not smart boards. If you are ok financially then by all means. Its an indvidual district thing. If your basics are covered fine but if you are skimping on basics you need to revist priorities. Yes its a new world and kids need to know this new technololgy but not at the expense of other things.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 7:35 AM

As class sizes keep getting larger, the amplification systems are needed. Our teachers use them, and when I've been in volunteering, I've heard the difference it makes.

Smartboards are not exactly a waste of money. Our middle school has had them for a couple of yrs and they are convenient. However, I can see why some people see it as a waste when so many other cuts are being made.

notjstanothrmom
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 7:38 AM
Okay. But that doesn't seem to be the case with the original post...

Quoting coolmommy2x: Every classroom in DD's elementary school has one and the PTO paid for them, not the taxpayers.

Quoting notjstanothrmom: I think they are good things to have but I can understand the frustration as a tax payer how in a financially strapped district how the spending could seem excessive.
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 7:43 AM
True. I don't know what he knew about how they (the smart board portion of the renovation) were being financed before making his rant.

Quoting notjstanothrmom: Okay. But that doesn't seem to be the case with the original post...

Quoting coolmommy2x: Every classroom in DD's elementary school has one and the PTO paid for them, not the taxpayers.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)