Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

AHH!!!!! School dress codes - need help (PIOG) *UPDATE in red

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 1:44 PM
  • 59 Replies

My girls' elementary school have school uniforms.  The tops must be collared green, white, or black tops with no logos.  The bottoms must be black or khaki color and it doesn't have to be specific clothes.  We've never had a problem.  My oldest was able to wear basketball shorts and very loose leggings.  She has had issues with fabrics since she was in kindergarten and can't stand to wear jeans or any other rougher fabric than cotton.  She needs to be able to move freely.  She is very conservative with the way she dresses.  Shorts must go down to her knees (mid-thigh is WAY too short for her) and tops can't go too low. 

Now, she is in middle school and doesn't have uniforms but they have a dress code.  She is very athletic and tends to lean towards athletic wear type of clothes but going into middle school, she wants to try a little more "cute" clothes.  She bought a maxi skirt that she likes.  She still has her basketball shorts but it doesn't go with her cute shirts.  She does have plenty of regular t-shirts but, again, she wants to dress a little cute.

Anyway, we go shopping for bottoms (shorts or pants) to go with her shirts and we cannot find ANYTHING except jean shorts.  She really really tried to like them and tried on a few but, nope, she couldn't do it.  Well, I suggested cutting one of her leggings into shorts.  Her leggings are not tight...they are usually 1-2 sizes bigger so that it's loose.  Well, she was told she couldn't wear leggings to school.  They said it was not allowed.

SERIOUSLY????  On the first day of school, I saw girls with the tightest jeans and jean shorts on but she can't wear loose leggings???

I'm waiting for one of the vice principals to call me back to clarify this.  If she absolutely cannot wear anything that looks like leggings, I don't know what we are going to do.  The stores are not selling anything but short skirts and jean bottoms.

I want to cry for my daughter because though it may seem like a issue she just needs to get over, it's something she has a really hard time with and always have.  She is not just being difficult....it's like it gives her anxiety and she begins thinking about her clothes instead of school.

Except for long skirts, what else can she wear???  Anyone know of anyting I can get her?

UPDATE:  Well, I went through 2 different admininstrative assistants and was told that one of the vice principals would call me back but they never did.  When I went to pick up my daughter from the afterschool program, one happened to be there (whew!!).  I talked to her and, at first, she was saying "NO leggings" as well.  When I explained that my daughter should be a size 10-12 but beause she like them loose, she wears a size 14-16 so they are not fitting at all.  I also explained that she is very modest and conservative with her clothes and often wears athletic gear.  She was still trying to be a little tough but when I was able to talk to her more about how she dresses, she understood and said that loose leggings are okay. WHEW!!!!  Saved me a ton of money, time, and stress trying to find bottoms that are comfortable to her. 

Thanks everyone.

by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 1:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kourtniebraun
by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Call the school and talk with the principal.  The defiition of leggings may not be what you think it is but you will never know if you don't ask.  At my daughter's school, the office suggests you bring items in and let them judge if they meet the dress code before wearing them to school.  Perhaps you can set up a short meeting before school starts?

lanceandhailey
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 1:53 PM

What about dress slacks or gaucho pants? Some more maxi's? Knee length skirts? Knee length or full length dresses?

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 1:54 PM

I have several pair of cargo capri pants that have a wide stretchy drawstring/elastic combo waist.  They are really comfy, although I'm not sure if you'd be able to find something like that in her size.  The ones that I have are Calvin Klein.

PeachQuean
by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 1:55 PM
Why I'm glad my kids schools have no dress code at all.

Here's a bump....
disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:01 PM

JC Penney carries Bermuda shorts for girls.  The description of one set of shorts said it was girls who are athletic or prefer looser clothing.  

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:02 PM

I did call and after talking to two different office assistants, I asked if I can get clarification so one of the assistant principals are supposed to call me back today.  I am hoping we can go in so I can show her what it would look like so they can give the "okay".  I know they are being strict on purpose because this school has had discpline issues.  They are a new adminstration (all 3 of them) to turn the school around but I feel like this is such an issue that doesn't need to be an issue.  Seriously.....the jean shorts were as tight or tighter than the leggings she would wear but these jean shorts are okay

Quoting kourtniebraun:

Call the school and talk with the principal.  The defiition of leggings may not be what you think it is but you will never know if you don't ask.  At my daughter's school, the office suggests you bring items in and let them judge if they meet the dress code before wearing them to school.  Perhaps you can set up a short meeting before school starts?

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:04 PM

I'm going to suggest getting more long skirts but she is not a type of girl to wear skirts in the first place.

Because it's still hot, we are trying to find more shorts she can wear.

Quoting lanceandhailey:

What about dress slacks or gaucho pants? Some more maxi's? Knee length skirts? Knee length or full length dresses?

ticklesurpickle
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't understand dress codes either! You can't wear leggings, spaghetti straps or open toed shoes. But you can wear shorts that look like panties, sprayed on jeans and shirts that are too tight and short!

Can your daughter wear yoga pants? Or does that count as leggings? What about bremuda shorts? They're longer and come in different fabrics. What about capris? Sweat pants? Good luck with ideas, I hope it all works out for you guys.

~~~My~~~
lanceandhailey
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:09 PM

If she could stand the feel of khakis TCP has skimmer shorts, they are around knee length..

Would they let her wear foldover active pants

Quoting M4LG5:

I'm going to suggest getting more long skirts but she is not a type of girl to wear skirts in the first place.

Because it's still hot, we are trying to find more shorts she can wear.

Quoting lanceandhailey:

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Do you have a link to those shorts?  I can't seem to locate it.

Quoting disneymom2two:

JC Penney carries Bermuda shorts for girls.  The description of one set of shorts said it was girls who are athletic or prefer looser clothing.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)