Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Teachers, please help! *Small Update*

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 4:56 PM
  • 15 Replies
My son is 5 years old and starting kindergarten in a few weeks. I'm a math teacher. It's been very long since I've studied about early literacy. My son has ADHD. I'm sure that plays a part in the difficulties he's been having. He attended pre-k within our school district, but they didn't spend much time on print concepts.

He has struggled to learn letter names despite our efforts at teaching them to him. He can remember the sounds that some letters make (the ones we've worked on), but not the letter name. If I show him a letter and ask him what it is, he makes the sound for the letter. I will ask him again for its name, and he can't remember.

He is having the same difficulty with numbers. We had a movie night here at home with lots of snack food to munch on during the movie. He counted to see how many m&m's were left. He county twelve. He said, "that means you get 4, daddy gets 4, and I get 4." Yet, he can't recognize the number 4 in print.

What could be going on here? I would love the input from teachers who have more experience with early literacy skills than I do.

Small Update:

We've now been in school for 3 months. He's made a good bit of progress.

He knows most of his letter names, and all letter sounds. He has also started blending to read CVC words. He's ahead of his mid-year goal on the assessment they use for phonological processes. After Christmas, they will begin progress monitoring on phonics.

Not surprised, but he is excelling in math.

He absolutely loves school this year. His ADHD hasn't been a problem. I think we finally found the right medication. He hasn't been in trouble even once so far (knock on wood). His teachers are amazing and have been the perfect fit for him. Last year, he was the kid who was always in trouble and had no friends. This year is the complete opposite.
by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PixiePurFect
by Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 5:02 PM
I would like to add that I understand he is very far behind. There is no need for anyone to point that out or tell me how old your child was when he/she began reading. We have worked with him for as long as I can remember, but nothing seems to stick.

He also has articulation delays, receptive language delays, and expressive language delays. Those issues are mostly resolved. He will likely be exited from SLP services this year.
dawncs
by Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Have you thought to teach him these concepts to music or simple songs. Like 1 2 buckle my shoe? There are some great free video games on the internet that promote learning. There are kids who thrive even with ADHD playing them.

PixiePurFect
by Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 5:07 PM
He plays several games for educational purposes. He pretty much cheats the games. He has figured out he can guess until he gets it right. He doesn't try with games.

Quoting dawncs:

Have you thought to teach him these concepts to music or simple songs. Like 1 2 buckle my shoe? There are some great free video games on the internet that promote learning. There are kids who thrive even with ADHD playing them.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Have you had him evaluated for learning disabilities? I am not a teacher, that is all I've got. 

PixiePurFect
by Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 5:23 PM
I've been wondering the same. I have a couple of relatives that have dyslexia. I know that it's genetic. I was going to speak to his new teacher about it after she's had a chance to assess him herself. School starts September 2nd.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Have you had him evaluated for learning disabilities? I am not a teacher, that is all I've got. 

alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 5:33 PM

I think that is probably your best bet. 

Quoting PixiePurFect: I've been wondering the same. I have a couple of relatives that have dyslexia. I know that it's genetic. I was going to speak to his new teacher about it after she's had a chance to assess him herself. School starts September 2nd.
Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

dawncs
by Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Have you thought of getting him involved with Minecraft? I have heard it works wonders for those with disabilities at times. I have not used it personally, but it can work on concepts.

Quoting PixiePurFect: He plays several games for educational purposes. He pretty much cheats the games. He has figured out he can guess until he gets it right. He doesn't try with games.
Quoting dawncs:

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Aug. 17, 2014 at 6:25 PM

He's dividing at five so obviously he's a smart cookie. LOL

I wouldn't worry too much about letter names. Knowing letter names has nothing to do with actual reading. I always focus on sounds with my preschooler. My older son learned sounds at home and names at school. 

If he is still struggling with letters and numbers after he gets instruction in class then I might be concerned. But if his preK program didn't focus on those skills I would wait and see what happens in school.

matofour
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 6:27 PM
Dyslexia does run in family's. Much heavier in boys than girls.
But, rarely diagnosed at this age.
Although, I will tell you I knew from a very early age (3,4) there was something different with my daughter whom is dyslexic. And, I pushed and pushed for testing cause something was just not right.
She was diagnosed in second grade, which is considered fairly early.

Quoting PixiePurFect: I've been wondering the same. I have a couple of relatives that have dyslexia. I know that it's genetic. I was going to speak to his new teacher about it after she's had a chance to assess him herself. School starts September 2nd.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Aug. 17, 2014 at 6:29 PM

I will add that he is very young to be evaluated for a learning disability. 

Unless he has a very severe disability it will be very hard to show in testing because all kids his age are just learning basic skills. If the school district tests him now and they don't diagnose a problem they won't be able to retest him for several years. 

Based on what you said, I wouldn't jump to a learning disability. Let's face it, learning letters and numbers can be repetitive and boring. It's not unusual for bright, active kids to take a while to master them. The fact that he has ADHD just compounds that. I would give him some time before you start to worry too much. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN