Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Lily hated her latest Guides Camping weekend.

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 6:42 PM
  • 115 Replies
That is Lily back from her latest Guides Camping weekend (she wanted to try another weekend away) but she "hated it" because she didn't make new friends again despite trying and was again coddled by the leaders. She tried to make friends but got turned down by everyone, she thinks it is because she got coddled to much which others didn't like, she even stayed in same tent as leaders this time which wasn't the case last time. I asked her if she was looked after warm and stay warm to which she replied "yes, they looked after me superbly and did make sure that I was warm, they MADE me wear my jacket and do up all 3 zips which I wasn't happy with".

She blamed me for her having to wear and do up her jacket because she found out that I asked leader to make sure she was warm.

What would you say in that situation?
by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 6:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Why is she being coddled or looked after so intensely?   She probably became overly warm after all those zippers.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Aug. 17, 2014 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Some more information would be helpful. 

Why would the leaders feel they need to coddle her? Why are you concerned about her being cold in August?

I would very hesitant to blame her friendship issues on the leaders. It sounds like she needs some guidance with social skills if she's having trouble making friends. Allowing her to blame other people might make her feel better for now, but it won't help her in the long run. 

HighlandJo
by Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 6:57 PM
Quoting frndlyfn:

Why is she being coddled or looked after so intensely?   She probably became overly warm after all those zippers.

The leader felt that after last time, she needed looked after because she struggled last time, as I said in another thread, she froze on a hike because she didn't bring a jacket or food.

I disagree that she was too warm, if she was, she would have asked leader if she could only do up inner/outer zip.

And to another poster, it can be cold in August, I wish you would understand that and as another member said on another thread, there are other climates than your own!!
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting HighlandJo:
Quoting frndlyfn:

The leader felt that after last time, she needed looked after because she struggled last time, as I said in another thread, she froze on a hike because she didn't bring a jacket or food. I disagree that she was too warm, if she was, she would have asked leader if she could only do up inner/outer zip. And to another poster, it can be cold in August, I wish you would understand that and as another member said on another thread, there are other climates than your own!!

I did not see the the other thread.  I know all about different climates since in 2 weeks, I have been in 3 different climates where one temperature felt worlds apart in each one.   I would apologize to my dd for trying to make sure she was taken care of while she was not home and ask the leader if there was an older girl in the group that could be a "buddy" to her rather than the leader or anyone in charge.

HighlandJo
by Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 7:09 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to sound nasty by the way.

I asked Lily is she would have preferred an "older girl" looked after her instead of a leader and her reply was "yeah but I don't think anyone would volunteer". I did say to her " the older girl would have asked you to wear your jacket and do up all 3 zips as well because the leader would advise her on that, she didn't like that comment and again moaned at me for asking leader to make sure she stayed warm but my reply was "you need to stay warm sweetheart, if you didn't want all 3 zips done up then you should have asked if it was OK if you only done up inner or outer zip stating that leader may have said " no, its very cold, you need all 3 done up".

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Aug. 17, 2014 at 8:43 PM

How old is she?

I know all about other climates. I also know that in most of the country it's pretty warm in August. I don't understand why a child who is old enough to go away for a weekend isn't old enough to decide if she needs a jacket or not. It's confusing from the little info in the OP. 

It helps to link to other threads or at least review the back story when posting. Most members don't read every single post in the group and it's hard to remember all the posts. 

HighlandJo
by Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 8:51 PM
She is 7.

They went to an area where it was dreadful weather, it was really heavy rain and galeforce winds (weather throughout Scotland is that just now) so a jacket is a must plus it needs done up in order for it to stay on, she would leave the zip undone which would mean no jacket because wind would blow it off.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 8:52 PM

This lady is insanely crazy about her kid wearing a jacket and it being zipped up.  She about lost it in one post when I suggested instead of holding her hands and forcing her zipper up, to just let her go outside without her jacket and she's quickly realize it was cold and she'd put the darn thing on without a fight.  Well I guess her child would instantly die without a jacket on because it is so cold where they live.

IMO, the mother is the problem and not the child.  Natural Consequences is one of the many posts that she's made in the past week.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

How old is she?

I know all about other climates. I also know that in most of the country it's pretty warm in August. I don't understand why a child who is old enough to go away for a weekend isn't old enough to decide if she needs a jacket or not. It's confusing from the little info in the OP. 

It helps to link to other threads or at least review the back story when posting. Most members don't read every single post in the group and it's hard to remember all the posts. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Aug. 17, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Quoting HighlandJo: She is 7. They went to an area where it was dreadful weather, it was really heavy rain and galeforce winds (weather throughout Scotland is that just now) so a jacket is a must plus it needs done up in order for it to stay on, she would leave the zip undone which would mean no jacket because wind would blow it off.

Most of the members of this site are American. This time of year there is no where in the Continental US with weather that bad. So forgive us for not understanding. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Aug. 17, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Ahh... I remember that post. 

I can see why it would be more important since she's in Scotland. But I don't know why her seven year old wouldn't bundle up to stay warm without being forced to like most kids do. 

Quoting steelcrazy:

This lady is insanely crazy about her kid wearing a jacket and it being zipped up.  She about lost it in one post when I suggested instead of holding her hands and forcing her zipper up, to just let her go outside without her jacket and she's quickly realize it was cold and she'd put the darn thing on without a fight.  Well I guess her child would instantly die without a jacket on because it is so cold where they live.

IMO, the mother is the problem and not the child.  Natural Consequences is one of the many posts that she's made in the past week.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

How old is she?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN