Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Does your kids school...

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 11:17 PM
  • 60 Replies
Allow you to walk them to their classroom? Allow you to park and come inside and wait for your child at the end of the day? Allow you to bring in homemade things?
I'm asking bc I just assumed most schools allowed all of those since ds's does and was shocked to learn that none of my nieces or nephews school allow them. Last year I walked ds to his kindergarten class every single day. I would have been ok dropping him off but he wanted me to walk with him. At the end of the day I would park and walk in and wait for his class. There also about 10-15 other parents that did this. We also send cupcakes or cake pops that mil makes for every holiday, he's taking some Wednesday for the first day. Just curious if any other schools allow those things.
by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 11:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 11:32 PM

We live in a rural area, so 99% of the students are bussed to school.  The other 1% are driven, but their parents don't walk them to class.  If a parent is picking their child up at the end of the day, they wait in the lobby for their child to be called to the lobby to be dismissed.  You have to show ID to pick up your kid.  Parents aren't permitted past the lobby unless they are certified volunteers.  We are permitted to send in homemade treats for class parties or their birthday.  Although the school discourages cupcakes since the children rarely eat more than the icing.

beadingmom17
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 11:37 PM
Our school wouldn't say no, but they don't encourage walking them to their classroom. No, you can't just stand in the school/outside their classroom and wait, unless there's a reason to (drive in a field trip, helped with a party, etc). Bringing treats is left up to the individual teachers. The teacher both of my girls had for kindergarten didn't allow treats, but if someone brought something, she sent it home in a baggie with each kid. The teacher my oldest had for first grade this past year didn't mind treats.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Beautifulmom513
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 11:39 PM
Yes parents are allowed to walk their kids in to class and in fact the school highly encourages it. They have a part of the cafeteria set up for kids to eat with their parents. You just have to sign in and get a pass.

As far as after school, no you can't go inside the school. All the parents have to wait outside till school dismissed and they walk the classes out.

Homemade treats are allowed. They have classroom parties and bake sales all the time.
Mrs.Velasquez
by Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 12:30 AM
Yes to all questions :)
MaddieLainesMom
by Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 12:36 AM

My DD's school allows parents to walk the kids to their classroom as long as they sign in at the office beforehand. I could also park and come wait in the lobby outside of the office for her at the end of the day, if I wanted to. I choose, however, to do the pick up and drop off line except for the first day and her birthday. We can't send in homemade things, but there aren't many restrictions for what can be sent to the classroom this year since no one in her class has severe allergies. It just has to be packaged with ingredients listed on it. 

GwenMB
by Gwen on Aug. 19, 2014 at 12:39 AM

Yes, we can walk them to their classes.  I walked DS#1 to K every day, I stopped walking him to 1st grade after about 2 months (all at his request).

We can park & wait for them, but we wait outside.

We can bring homemade treats.

Based on what I see on CM, I think all of the above is rare. Tomorrow is day 2 of the new school year & DS#2 is in K. I'm curious if he wants me to walk him to class or not (I want to, but won't if he doesn't want me to).

ballerina.2006
by Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 12:48 AM
After the first day I'm unsure if parents can walk kids to class (first year of public after homeschooling. 3rd and K). My son has some special needs so for the first few weeks until we nail down the perfect schedule I will be walking him to his classroom but this is already been okayed with the school and special ed dept.

Parenrs can pick up in the gym only, no car line after school. This ensures the teacher knows when students are picked up and by whom.

And I have no idea about homemade goodies. Dd will/does have a different set of rules for snacks than ds. Ds is not allowed homemade treats or certain healthy alternatives due to allergies. I just hope his classroom remains a safe zone (not anaphylatic luckily). He knows and understands his allergies but peer pressure may get the best of him :(
OliviaW.
by Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 12:54 AM
All but the homemade goodies. Though the teachers bring the students (kindergarten at least) into their gated play area for pick ups.
JanetteA
by Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 2:21 AM

Our school doesn't ban anything, but they strongly discourage parents from walking their kids in after the first day.  I can kind of see where they are coming from.  You certainly don't want ransom adults in your school hallwasy without so much as a sign in. 

At the end of the school day, kindergarteners and first graders are taken to a separate door where they can be picked up.  K and 1st graders are not allowed to leave without a parent, approved adult adult, or older sibling.   Parents were not supposed to come in though-- we waited outside on the benches.

As far as snacks go, homemade is still OK here (but let's face it, most parents buy cupcakes ready made).

Mocking.Jay
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 2:36 AM

Just for the first week. Then parents are not allowed past the lobby.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)