Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Are school board meetings open where you live?

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2014 at 11:07 PM
  • 36 Replies

My son attends a public charter school. There have been a lot of changes lately and it seems some parents have a lot of questions. I inquired about the school board meeting and was told they are closed to parents and the public. Is that the norm? I was under the impression that they are typically open to the public, how does it work by you?

by on Aug. 19, 2014 at 11:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JanetteA
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 11:09 PM

Ours are open to the public.  Unfortunately that usually means that 3/4 of the time is spent responding to parent complaints that should be handled at the building level.

KreatingMe
by Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 11:30 PM

I bet that's a problem. I'd like to know if, as a public charter, they can have closed meetings. I'm not sure how to go about finding the answer, lol.

Quoting JanetteA:

Ours are open to the public.  Unfortunately that usually means that 3/4 of the time is spent responding to parent complaints that should be handled at the building level.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 11:31 PM
Ours are open to the public.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Aug. 19, 2014 at 11:35 PM
They're open to the public. Speaking time by the public is limited.
MrsApple
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 11:37 PM

Yes,ours is public

KreatingMe
by Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 11:38 PM

That's what I thought. Maybe I should inquire about this at the school.

Quoting Barabell: They're open to the public. Speaking time by the public is limited.

ZoeCY
by Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 11:39 PM

No, that's not the norm, not around here at least.  I know that our school board's meetings are open as are a lot in the surrounding area.  They do occasionally close part of the meeting but that is pretty rare. 

ZoeCY
by Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I would think especially being a public school that they would have to be open.  

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 11:40 PM
2 moms liked this

If it's a public charter school, then closed meetings would be illegal. I would seriously be questioning a school that wasn't transparent.

KreatingMe
by Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Thanks for your answer. This is pretty much what I thought.

Quoting ZoeCY:

No, that's not the norm, not around here at least.  I know that our school board's meetings are open as are a lot in the surrounding area.  They do occasionally close part of the meeting but that is pretty rare. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN