Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Lunch ideas

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 1:51 PM
  • 18 Replies

My kinder is a picky water... And so far doesn't want to eat school lunches (lol I don't blame him).  I need some ideas for him ....veggies are a battle :( 

also it needs to be so,etching that doesn't necessarily need to be heated up either 

I'm looking on Pinterest for ideas as well 

by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissyB1011
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Does he like what you make for supper? What about using leftovers for lunch? DD likes hot lunches in the winter when it's cold. I invested in a good thermos. The food gets warmed up before I leave for work and stays warm until her lunchtime.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Aug. 20, 2014 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this
EmilyRhiannon
by Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh I'll have to look into that for warm food!! 

Quoting MissyB1011:

Does he like what you make for supper? What about using leftovers for lunch? DD likes hot lunches in the winter when it's cold. I invested in a good thermos. The food gets warmed up before I leave for work and stays warm until her lunchtime.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Dd takes sandwiches, cold quesadillas, cold pizzadillas (cheese quesadilla w/ pizza sauce added), our own version of Lunchables (lunch meat, string cheese, and either a tortilla w/ butter cut into strips or bread and butter), and, when we have it, cold leftover pizza. Sometimes she takes Gogurt or apple sauce w/ any of that, and there is always a juice box and a cookie. I pack a blue ice in her lunch box to keep things cold.

Ds2 takes Gogurt or apple sauce, a cookie, juice box, and either Goldfish, Cheez Its, Ritz Bitz mini cheese sandwich crackers or the square equivalents. B/c he brown bags it, I freeze the Gogurt and it's thawed out but still cold at lunch time.

Ds1 keeps it simple- a pb&j, chips, a couple of cookies, and a juice box.

Mama2ETA
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 5:22 PM
We are sending pasta salad tomorrow as part of the kids lunch. We do a lot of sandwiches, wraps, and finger foods. Winter is mostly soups or hot pastas.
huskermom98
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Just send what he likes and will eat (within reason of course!)  My youngest takes his lunch most days and its almost always a slice of cheese or a cheese stick, applesauce, crackers (cheezit type ones, goldfish, or graham crackers) and either a cereal bar or a granola bar, along with milk.  He's not usually a sandwich person so I had to let him take what he wanted or else he'd starve!  He has finally started eating carrots this summer so maybe I'll try those...

MarieSW
by Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 5:50 PM

There are a lot of ways you can hide veggies.  I make pumpkin muffins, zucchini lemon muffins, zucchini chocolate muffins, zucchini banana bread, broccoli egg muffin bites, etc. 

There are a lot of shelf stable things too such as protein bars, cereal bars, pasta salad, cereal, cut a sandwich into a cute shape. 

I send burritos, quesadillas, naan bread sandwiches, cheese and crackers, cream cheese sandwich with honey, waffle sandwich with sausage or nut butter in the middle.  I use Thermos containers a lot for mac and cheese, chicken and dumplings, fried rice, egg rolls, chicken nuggets, you name it.  And I use a Pack It for colder items such as yogurt, cheese items.

EmilyRhiannon
by Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Thanks!!   I've been sending sandwiches... Goldfish(or something of that type) milk/juice/water  applesauce with veggies  but I don't want him getting bored with meals 

LoriAnn87
by LoriAnn on Aug. 20, 2014 at 6:52 PM

my son will be taking this year to lunch peanut butter rolls, peant butter and jelly, lunchables, lunchmeat sandwhich (ham and cheese or turkey and cheese) cheese sticks, yograt and some kind of fruit.

MarieSW
by Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 7:48 PM

You can puree cooked kale and hide it in something dark like a plum, apple fruit sauce.  I make kale popsicles dipped in dark chocolate, add mint flavoring and he'll think it's a mint popsicle.  ;P

I put cooked kale in burritos, enchiladas, potato pancakes, marinara sauce.  He won't taste it. 

My kids also like breaded zucchini fries and sweet potato fries. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)