Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Build-A-Bear issue

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 12:40 PM
  • 35 Replies

I would love to know other people's opinions on this situation that I'm in. My daugther is 6 years old and she has 5 Build a Bear animals (2 bears, a lamb, a dog, and a cat). I've told her that's enough from that store. I allow her to get clothes and such from time to time (maybe 1-2 times a year). Two of the animals I didn't purchase myself (one was from a grandparent and another as a birthday souvenir). The animals are $25 each without clothes and accessories.

She has a proposal where she is willing to give up to 2 Build a Bears to someone in need so that she can get a new one. She normally gives away toys she no longer plays with at Christmas with the understanding that she will get more toys from Santa the more she gives to others. We also volunteer at Cradles to Crayons.

Would you agree to her proposal? If not, why?

I just don't want to get her yet another build a bear animal. But I don't think that's a good enough reason. She probably would agree to just getting the animal and no clothing at this point.

by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Part of the fun of Build A Bear is watching it come to life. Could she build one and donate that one?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2-point-doe
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 12:49 PM

My DD also has many build a bear animals and many, many, many accessories and clothes. She does spend time a few times a month dressing all of her stuffed animals so she does use them. She also usually takes one with some outfits when we travel. (she also has several small frys and outfits)

I would probably go for giving up 2 to get one new one but would make her give up a few outfits too so that the child in need could dress up their animal too.

lizfnf
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

My daugher is 7 and is obsessed with the My Little Pony Collection.  She has a bunch of them and their little go-along buddies.  That being said she has never gotten into Barbies, though she is now showing an interest in Monster High, or any other dolls.  We tried, she even has an American Girl, which she takes excellent care of and changes her outfits, but doesn't "play" with her otherwise.  Stuffed animals though, those amuse her all day and she has endless adventures with them.  So we indulge her in the Ponies, since really it's the only toy she wants.  I know I seem really unhelpful, what I'm trying to say is, is that if she is really into them and plays with them, then maybe it's not such a bad thing to buy them.  Maybe she could help "pay" for her collection with extra chores?  I also like what the previous poster said about donating a new one.  

2-point-doe
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 12:57 PM

My dd also never go into dolls. She does do a few barbies because she has a bunch of hand made furniture from her great aunt. She also has a ton of the calico critters and the mansion with all the furniture and plays with that a lot.

It's odd that they play like most kids would with dolls but use animals. LOL

Quoting lizfnf:

My daugher is 7 and is obsessed with the My Little Pony Collection.  She has a bunch of them and their little go-along buddies.  That being said she has never gotten into Barbies, though she is now showing an interest in Monster High, or any other dolls.  We tried, she even has an American Girl, which she takes excellent care of and changes her outfits, but doesn't "play" with her otherwise.  Stuffed animals though, those amuse her all day and she has endless adventures with them.  So we indulge her in the Ponies, since really it's the only toy she wants.  I know I seem really unhelpful, what I'm trying to say is, is that if she is really into them and plays with them, then maybe it's not such a bad thing to buy them.  Maybe she could help "pay" for her collection with extra chores?  I also like what the previous poster said about donating a new one.  

lizfnf
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Calico Critters!  Yes!  My daughter plays with those as well!  We have the little starter house, car, and camper.  I ordered her the motorcycle with side car from Zulily a week or so ago at a huge discount for Christmas.  Check them out, since they do carry the Critters every so often and you can get a great deal!

Quoting 2-point-doe:

My dd also never go into dolls. She does do a few barbies because she has a bunch of hand made furniture from her great aunt. She also has a ton of the calico critters and the mansion with all the furniture and plays with that a lot.

It's odd that they play like most kids would with dolls but use animals. LOL

Quoting lizfnf:

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 1:25 PM

BAB is really big when they are 6, my boys have nearly a dozen friends from BAB each.  It was a fun phase that they out grew all too quickly IMO.  Yes, it is slightly expensive, but not really any more expensive than other dolls for girls.  Have you tried to get a Barbie for less than $25?  

I look at it like they are only little and interested in stuff like this for such a short time period.  Why make such a big issue out of it?  Just wait about 5 or 6 years, $25 for a stuffed animal will seem like a great idea compared to the money that she will want to spend on the latest must have gadget.

lisahappymom
by Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Kudos to your DD for coming up with a solution!  It's great to see problem solving skills in someone so young.

My only worry with her proposal is that if she gives away two to get one, then will that be used as a reason later on to get another one?  ..."but mommy, I only have four." 

So while her proposal is good, it seems like maybe exercising her problem solving is not what's needed here.  Maybe an emphasis on gratitute is more important.  You could check out some books on being thankful from your local library.  Having five build a bears seems like a lot to be grateful for.

Also, I worry a little bit too about sending a message to a child that when you give to others, you will get something in return.  To me, giving should be without the expectation of getting anything in return.  (Though I know that's hard for a 6 yr old.) 

In short, rest assured that she will be fine and will still love you without getting one more bear.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Eh....i'm different.  If my daughters had that many and wanted more, I'd make them come up with half the money first.  This way you can see how much they really want it.

UpSheRises
by Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 2:07 PM

No, i wouldn't support it. I think it encourages consumerism. As long as the current toys are still in fine repair i wouldn't purchase new one just for the sake of having something new.

snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 2:16 PM
2 moms liked this
I wouldn't take her up in her deal. Then every time she wants something she's just going to think all I have to do is get ride of a few toys and that giving is about getting something in return..

I would probably tell her that she can get another on when she can pay for it. If she earns/saves the $25 then I'll take her to B-A-B. I would also remind her if she wants accessories, It's more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN