Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Overnight school fieldtrip for a 9 year old?

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 1:24 PM
  • 252 Replies

So I just found at my 4th graders open house last night that they will be going on a 2 day - overnight fieldtrip!  Am I crazy to think that this is a bit much for 9 and 10 year olds??  I wasn't the only parent in the room concerned when we heard about it and immediately parents started asking how they could sign up to be a parent volunteer for the trip. Well, the reponse from the teacher was "You can't sign up, we won't be taking any parents!"  and the teacher followed it by saying " And following the bus is highly discouraged"!  

Now I don't want to over protect and baby my child, but I sure don't recall going on all nighter field trips when I was 9.  I didn't do that until high school for heavens sake!  Am I overreacting?  I talked to my child about it last night and he actually said he didn't want to go because it sounded scary to be so far away by himself. 

What do you think?

by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HIJKLM
by Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 1:27 PM
6 moms liked this
I went to overnight events with my church at that age but there were several parents and only like 15 kids. I don't think I'd let my kid go, especially when NO parents are allowed to come. Where are they going?
sarah824
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 1:28 PM

It does seem a little young for an overnight field trip, but I wouldn't have a problem with it. We are a small school and I trust our staff 100%.

Lottie925
by Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 1:30 PM
Where would they be going?
psychmommy627
by Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 1:32 PM

We are in Florida and the trip is to St. Augustine.  We are not a small school, it is about 10 4th grade classes with about 22 kids in each. Now, of course the trip is very expensive, like $400.00 I believe and so you would imagine that not every kid goes, but a good majority do from what I heard from last year.  Since there are no parents allowed, I'm not sure what the adult to student ratio would be then.  Those are all details I still have to find out.  I just feel very uneasy being so far away from my kid and god forbid something happens and I am like 8 hours away.

Maries_Mom23
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Where are they going?  How far away is it?

When my oldest was in 3rd, they took a day trip to Columbus, OH (3 1/2 hours from us).  That freaked me out, so, we followed them!  Which, by the way was perfectly fine with the school.  They made it clear we had to be in our own cars and pay for our stuff.  Fourth grade didn't do a big trip last year and I'm awaiting 5th grade trip info.  In the past, they've done an overnight thing at Ripley's Aquarium and Dollywood.  

lilblu399
by Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I remember going to one trip when I was about 9, we went to a camp. We did a nature walk, played games it was fun, there were about 40 kids. We slept inside. It was great.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shell89
by Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 1:40 PM

In my town 5th graders used to go to a science camp for a week. (Not every student went but most did. If they stayed back they did science related things. They don't anymore because we no longer get the funding. Parents didn't t go either.

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 1:42 PM

My DD did an overnight in 3rd last year but it was at our local zoo and only lasted from 7pm to 10am. I am not sure what the big 4th grade trip is for this year.

huskermom98
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 1:44 PM

I guess it would depend on how far away they were going, where they would be staying, what they would be doing, and how many adults would be going (especially depending on which kids were going...).  Most likely I would be ok with my 9yo going, but the biggest concern for me would be the fact that he still has the occasional nighttime accident depending on how much he has to drink in the afternoon...!

The no-parent thing is not such a bad thing--they probably want this to be a class trip, not a family vacation...

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 1:46 PM

We don't do overnighters for school here until sixth grade.  However many kids are doing sleep away camp during the summer at that age, so it really isn't as uncommon as you think.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)