Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

That special teacher

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 7:39 AM
  • 14 Replies
We had our classroom visitation last night. Met my daughter's 2nd grade teacher and she seems lovely! And most Importantly. For my daughter she has 2 turtles in her room! That is literally all I have been asked about since getting the teacher assignments. Then we went to visit her old 1st grade teacher whom had moved up to 2nd grade as well. We had hoped to have her again, but obviously did not. We took it hard, but I have been stressing that it's going to be a great year. We walked into the old teacher's rooms, Mrs. C, and when she saw my daughter she yelled "Foosey Goosey!", my daughter's school nickname and then all 3 of us got teary eyed. Mrs. C told me that she had been upset when she learned my daughter wouldn't be in her class again, and then he told my daughter that they are neighbors and if she ever needs to talk or visit she's more than welcome. It just feels so good to know that there is someone at the school that really, genuinely cares for my daughter. I had that with my 3rd grade teacher, and after she retired we would still send letters to each other. I remember her sending me pictures of her dog, a Golden Retriever. Sorry this was so long, it was just an amazing reunion last evening and thankfully my daughter is feeling very confident to start school on Monday. For her it's all about those turtles#
by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 7:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 8:29 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm glad that your dd is excited about second grade and the turtles.  lol

My third grade teacher was my special teacher as well.  She just retired last Spring and I had one heck of a time with it.  She gave me back a really cute ceramic bunny that I painted for her about 35 years ago.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this

That is so cute that your dd is excited about the turtles : )  And it's great that she has another adult, other than her current teacher, at school willing to be there for her.

Had to laugh at her nickname! Dd's school nurse has a nickname for her since dd is in everyday to get a Lactaid tablet before lunch. When we dropped off the box of it at Open House before school started, dd's grin was sooo big when the nurse greeted her w/ that nickname : )

Tracys2
by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

What a lovely story! When we were meeting my daughter's 2nd grade teacher, about 4 former students came in for hugs, including a neighbor friend. I think she may be a good friend like that.

For me, it was my 6th grade teacher because my 4th & 5th teacher (same woman) really disliked me, and vice-versa, and the 6th liked me and that was special <3

MunchiesMom324
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 10:40 AM

We have that with most of the teachers... we make it a point to visit the "special" ones on open house nights, just because they are THAT wonderful.  There was one, who followed DS1 from K5 to first - and then there's the one that he's had since second grade (SC classroom, he's in fifth now).  There's the K4 and K5 teachers that both DS2 and DS3 had (they're one year apart in age, so as soon as DS2 left that teacher's class, DS3 had her the next year).  I'm a little worried, DS2's 1st grade teacher doesn't seem like... that kind of teacher.  I guess we'll see.

lizfnf
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:02 AM
It's great when the teachers and students can really connect. The bond I saw between my daughter and her old teacher really touched me. I hope you 2nd son's new teacher turns out to be just as wonderful!

Quoting MunchiesMom324:

We have that with most of the teachers... we make it a point to visit the "special" ones on open house nights, just because they are THAT wonderful.  There was one, who followed DS1 from K5 to first - and then there's the one that he's had since second grade (SC classroom, he's in fifth now).  There's the K4 and K5 teachers that both DS2 and DS3 had (they're one year apart in age, so as soon as DS2 left that teacher's class, DS3 had her the next year).  I'm a little worried, DS2's 1st grade teacher doesn't seem like... that kind of teacher.  I guess we'll see.

lizfnf
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:04 AM
2 moms liked this
It's amazing how attached you can become to a teacher. And how no matter how long you are away from them you always remember them.

Quoting steelcrazy:

I'm glad that your dd is excited about second grade and the turtles.  lol

My third grade teacher was my special teacher as well.  She just retired last Spring and I had one heck of a time with it.  She gave me back a really cute ceramic bunny that I painted for her about 35 years ago.

Supervane
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:07 AM
I'm still in touch with my kindergarten teacher, she even attended my wedding and baby shower. She retired and then came out of retirement to run a private school. She teaches in a different country so I've often considered taking my DD to her during breaks to learn the language and culture
lizfnf
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:09 AM
That is so wonderful! I bet she would be so thrilled to meet your daughter!

Quoting Supervane: I'm still in touch with my kindergarten teacher, she even attended my wedding and baby shower. She retired and then came out of retirement to run a private school. She teaches in a different country so I've often considered taking my DD to her during breaks to learn the language and culture
Supervane
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:11 AM
They know each other she's just never taught her. My daughter predominantly speaks English, I know 1 summer with her she'd come back fluent. I don't know why I haven't done it yet

Quoting lizfnf: That is so wonderful! I bet she would be so thrilled to meet your daughter!

Quoting Supervane: I'm still in touch with my kindergarten teacher, she even attended my wedding and baby shower. She retired and then came out of retirement to run a private school. She teaches in a different country so I've often considered taking my DD to her during breaks to learn the language and culture
lizfnf
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:27 AM
Immersion is the best way to learn a language. Even better when kids are young! It's hard sending your kid away for a long time.

Quoting Supervane: They know each other she's just never taught her. My daughter predominantly speaks English, I know 1 summer with her she'd come back fluent. I don't know why I haven't done it yet

Quoting lizfnf: That is so wonderful! I bet she would be so thrilled to meet your daughter!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN