Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Half days?

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 12:34 PM
  • 42 Replies
Both my kids have half day on Fridays which really isn't half days I've spent the morning running back and forth to school and dropping everyone off now it's time to pick my son up from school already not sure if I like the kindergarten half day they are only at school for 1 hour and 45 minutes after picking him up we will go home for 45 minutes then it's time to pick my daughter up.

Does anyone else have half days? What do you think about them?
by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 12:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
huskermom98
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 12:50 PM

We have early outs every Wednesday (90 minutes early) and I love them because A) its a constant thing...no worrying which day is early out or which day is no school at all.  B) it gives my boys a chance to veg out and chill before a late night at church for Wednesday night activities.  And in May when church activities are done we have an afternoon to do trips to the zoo or the local amusement park.

But it works for us because we don't have half-day kindergarten...that is almost useless to be in school for less than 2 hours.  I don't see why they couldn't just do kindergarten as normal (unless I guess there's an afternoon kindergarten...)

JCKitten87
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 12:51 PM
Here kindergarten is full day. Only half day was preschool
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Our kindergarten goes to school the same hours as the other elementary grades.  Four or five times a year they have an early release day for staff development.  The students leave at 12:30 and the teachers use the afternoon for staff development.

Emily197
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 1:06 PM

There are 4 kindergaten teachers 2 have afternoon classes so they let everyone out early so that afternoon can come in and have a school day as well. we will get into a routine and I do like its on friday so our weekend is longer its just alot of runing for me I couldnt believe I got home showered and it was time to go again. 

Quoting huskermom98:

We have early outs every Wednesday (90 minutes early) and I love them because A) its a constant thing...no worrying which day is early out or which day is no school at all.  B) it gives my boys a chance to veg out and chill before a late night at church for Wednesday night activities.  And in May when church activities are done we have an afternoon to do trips to the zoo or the local amusement park.

But it works for us because we don't have half-day kindergarten...that is almost useless to be in school for less than 2 hours.  I don't see why they couldn't just do kindergarten as normal (unless I guess there's an afternoon kindergarten...)

Emily197
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 1:11 PM

My daughters school has kindergaten that goes full day like the rest of the school and they are out at the same time on fridays as the rest of the school we are waiting for an opening that is coming up in October then both kids will be on the same schedual which will be great. right now my daughter starts at 8 am and is out at 2:50 my sons school starts at 8:45 and is out at 11:45  and I have to drop my husband at work at 9 and he is off work at 3 so its alot of driving either way until we get a second car. 

Quoting steelcrazy:

Our kindergarten goes to school the same hours as the other elementary grades.  Four or five times a year they have an early release day for staff development.  The students leave at 12:30 and the teachers use the afternoon for staff development.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 1:20 PM

Our district hasn't had half-days in several yrs. B/c I only had 1 kid in school at the time, it wasn't bad. Actually, it wasn't really a half-day, it was more of an early release- the kids ate lunch at school so the district could count it as a full day. Those early release days were eliminated by the time my other 2 were in kindergarten (ds1 went to kindy in a different district and I don't remember how it worked there, if they had them at all).

jackiewal10
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Our districts Kinder half-day's are from 9:05-11:50 and 12:50-3:35.  If we had your school's schedule, I'd probably opt out of Kindergarten. That's a worthless day, IMO.

sarah824
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 1:38 PM

We don't have half days here. We do have late start Fridays and the kids start an hour later that day.

mamadee1971
by Dionne on Aug. 22, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Monday through Thursday 7:30 to 4:15p (former dismissal was 5:00) and Fridays 7:30 to 3:00 (former dismissal was 2:00), at my kid's school.  The Pre-Ks are the only ones that has half days,except for one Pre-K4 class.

LoriAnn87
by LoriAnn on Aug. 22, 2014 at 2:34 PM

We have half and full day kndergarten( u have to pay for full day kindergarten). AM kindergartens start at 8:31 and ends at 11:05 and PM starts at 12:19 to 2:55, full and every one else starts at 8:31 and gets out at 2;55.  Some days we do have half days and the kids get out at 12:35 and we also have 2 hours delays were everyone goes in at 10:00 expect the AM kindergarten they go in at 12:19 with the PM class.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)