Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

do you think your kids school should tell you if your kid gets hurt?

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 6:01 PM
  • 79 Replies
Yes or No?

Do you think your kids school should tell you if your kid gets hurt at school no matter how small it is?

My daughter hurt her ankle at school today, she said she told her teacher and saw the nurse and they gave her ice for it, witch I am glad they did that, but I didn't get a phone call or a note or anything to tell me.

My daughter just came home limping and when I looked at it it was really swollen, so I took her to the doctor and she sprained it.

I am know the school did the right thing by putting ice on it, but I still feel like they should have let me know.

What are your thoughts?
by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 6:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Night_Roane
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 6:05 PM
4 moms liked this
IMO, anything that will retain a mark or be visibly hurt after school should always be reported to the parent, and even small incidents should be reported for children too young to clearly explain what happened.
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 6:16 PM

If a kid goes to the nurse for any reason, a slip is filled out by the teacher and the nurse, and the child brings that home in their folder. The one exception is if the child's regular routine is to stop by the nurse's office for medication. I do not get a note every day just b/c dd stops in before lunch every day for her Lactaid tablet.

If it's something serious, the nurse calls.

We've had some awesome teachers. There was one time ds2 tripped and bonked his head on a chair- not hard enough to ask to go to the nurse, but his teacher emailed me to let me know.

Ideally, the school, either the nurse or the teacher, should've let you know.

Now, for minor scrapes or small bruises, no, I do not expect a note or call.

cybcm
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Any time first aid is applied we get a copy of an incident report sent home, we have to sign it and send it back in. If it's a head injury we get a phone call.

I get one at least every seocnd day, my child is so clumsy. Last week I got a phone call about a head injury because he sneezed while sitting on the floor and smacked his head on the floor in the process. He came home with a big egg shaped bruise on his forehead.

liss05
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Yes a parent/guardian should be called or have a note depending on what kind of accident happened IMO.

kit_manson
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Sprains, breaks, illness, head injuries, etc yes. However I know a mom who expects a call for every scratch and bruise. The teacher is really frustrated, because it's not like she inspects under their clothes for bruises after recess!

mommy053008
by Maria on Aug. 22, 2014 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes I do
Tracys2
by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Maybe with younger kids? Or if it needs folllowup?

If my kid has a band-aid or something, I can ask about it and get a decent answer, at least from like 2nd or 3rd grade.

I'm not sure if we get notes or not. I think all I've had was a band-aid that didn't make it as far as the nurse. She is really helpful though, our nurse. I brought my daughter back to school with a cast and a note for her teacher, and the nurse heard us, came and got everything set for PE and everything I woudln't have thought of <3, anyway, 2 kids, going into 4th and 2nd, never needed a note yet

JCKitten87
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 7:28 PM
Yes for elementary & preschool. Anything over that the "kid" should be able to call. Dd once came home all scraped up & with finger print bruises on her arm & no one "knew" what happened
anotherandree
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 7:30 PM

This is for our school, too.  We opted out of a note for band-aids, though because they give them out like candy.  LOL!  We just get notes for ice packs, tylenol and such.  Unless they need immediate medical attention, they never actually call.

Quoting cybcm:

Any time first aid is applied we get a copy of an incident report sent home, we have to sign it and send it back in. If it's a head injury we get a phone call.I get one at least every seocnd day, my child is so clumsy. Last week I got a phone call about a head injury because he sneezed while sitting on the floor and smacked his head on the floor in the process. He came home with a big egg shaped bruise on his forehead.

CafeMom Tickers
diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Aug. 22, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Yes I do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN