Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What age should they stop bathing together?

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 7:17 PM
  • 21 Replies

My older boys are 4 and 6. They still bathe together.. what age should i have them start bathing separately? (they are both terrified of showers.. they don't like that the water gets in their faces so we are stuck with baths)

by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 7:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy053008
by Maria on Aug. 22, 2014 at 7:23 PM
My girls are 6&3 and they shower separately more often than not.
ljmom24
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 7:26 PM
Mine are 11 and almost 6 and still bath together but not all the time. It does get crowded plus the little one can be annoying to the older one. Sometimes it's just easier and faster to get them done at the same time
anotherandree
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 7:27 PM

I would think now would be a good time.  However, I'm sure that they have a ball together.  I would REALLY encourage showers.  I know you said they are terrified but they cannot take baths for the rest of their lives and they are old enough.  (Plus, showering can save SO MUCH water!)

anotherandree
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Can't they bathe themsleves?

Quoting ljmom24: Mine are 11 and almost 6 and still bath together but not all the time. It does get crowded plus the little one can be annoying to the older one. Sometimes it's just easier and faster to get them done at the same time

CafeMom Tickers
Tracys2
by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 7:29 PM

My boy and girls stopped around age 4 ?, but my girls are 7 and 5 and I honestly don't care. My 7 year old is starting to want privacy, so I imagine I will stop when she wants to stop and doesn't run around naked whenever she wants, or else when she starts showing any signs of puberty, hopefully years from now :-)

ljmom24
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 7:31 PM
Yes but we have a small water tank so if I've done a wash or dishes getting the tub filled twice with warm water isn't easy. Or I have to wait for new water in tank to heat up so if it's late easy to just throw them in at once. Oldest prefers showers but unless he wants to take a cold shower sometimes he needs to get in the tub.

Quoting anotherandree:

Quoting ljmom24: Mine are 11 and almost 6 and still bath together but not all the time. It does get crowded plus the little one can be annoying to the older one. Sometimes it's just easier and faster to get them done at the same time

Libbah
by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 7:32 PM

I don't think there is a right age.  I think it's ok until one of them expresses that they feel uncomfortable about it.

anotherandree
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Ah.  I have a friend and her girls are 9 and 12.  She STILL gives them a bath every other night.  Like she washes them, washes their hair, and everything.  They came to spend the night and (since it was bath night), I had to give them a bath.  WEIRDED me out.  They are TOO OLD for THAT much adult assistance.

Quoting ljmom24: Yes but we have a small water tank so if I've done a wash or dishes getting the tub filled twice with warm water isn't easy. Or I have to wait for new water in tank to heat up so if it's late easy to just throw them in at once. Oldest prefers showers but unless he wants to take a cold shower sometimes he needs to get in the tub.
Quoting anotherandree:

CafeMom Tickers
ljmom24
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 7:38 PM
Depends on how long you shower. If you take quick showers yes. 5 min shower would be about 15-20 gallons on water vs 30-40 for a tub but if you are in there 10 min of more it's about the same.

Quoting anotherandree:

I would think now would be a good time.  However, I'm sure that they have a ball together.  I would REALLY encourage showers.  I know you said they are terrified but they cannot take baths for the rest of their lives and they are old enough.  (Plus, showering can save SO MUCH water!)

Luvmy2babies22
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 7:42 PM
I think when one starts asking for privacy or it stops working. My kids made too much of a mess together so they haven't bathed together for years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN