Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Tattooed Teachers

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 6:57 PM
  • 63 Replies
My cousin will be teaching 1st grade this year. She posted a picture of herself at open house. She has tattoos on both arms. Very large covering her biceps down to her forearms. I don't have an issue with tattoos. I have them myself. But I also cover them. It's company rules. Has been at every bank and office I've ever worked at. I guess I was just surprised that she didn't have to cover hers. I've seen teachers with tattoos poking out behind clothing but never in full. Do you think teachers should have to cover their tattoos? What about other professionals? I wish I didn't have to cover mine.
by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 6:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:01 PM
2 moms liked this

That's a tough one. Times are changing and the perception of people with tattoos is changing too. 

I would guess around half the teachers I work with have them. Most are very discrete and no one can see them at school. A couple are on ankles or wrists so they show, but they aren't super obvious. 

It wouldn't bother me personally, but I have a hard time picturing how one could look really professional while covered over a large visible area. As you mentioned in other careers that's not the norm.

IQuitCounting
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:02 PM
5 moms liked this

Only if they aren't appropriate for a child to see (i.e. contains nudity or drug paraphernalia), otherwise I don't see an issue with them being visable in any job.

Sydel
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:05 PM
I read somewhere that tattoos are becoming more accepted. However I have refrained from getting them anywhere that would make covering them up difficult because of my career.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

That's a tough one. Times are changing and the perception of people with tattoos is changing too. 

I would guess around half the teachers I work with have them. Most are very discrete and no one can see them at school. A couple are on ankles or wrists so they show, but they aren't super obvious. 

It wouldn't bother me personally, but I have a hard time picturing how one could look really professional while covered over a large visible area. As you mentioned in other careers that's not the norm.

Sydel
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:07 PM
2 moms liked this
Hers are fine. Various girly graphics and the Wonder Woman sign. I have no issue with them I was just surprised she had them showing. I was a tiny bit jealous lol

Quoting IQuitCounting:

Only if they aren't appropriate for a child to see (i.e. contains nudity or drug paraphernalia), otherwise I don't see an issue with them being visable in any job.

KelliansMom
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:10 PM
I wouldn't mind them. I have tattoos though. If I was teaching I would just cover them though but that's just me.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Our principal has a tattoo that is sometimes visible, as do a few teachers.  Nothing inappropriate though.  And it doesn't bother me in the least.

Mocking.Jay
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:13 PM
1 mom liked this

It doesn't bother me. As long as their boobs, stomach and butt are covered, I'm good. 

cupcake_mom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:15 PM
As long as they are not gang tats or inappropriate naked ladies or stuff like that I see problem with them in any profession.
TadpoleMomma
by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Quoting IQuitCounting:

beadingmom17
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:18 PM
I have a tattoo on my ankle that my lunch kids see (I'm a lunch monitor). I suppose I'd be hypocritical if I had an issue with them ;) Really, though, I don't care unless they're inappropriate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)