Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

They were there ALONE

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 5:55 PM
  • 72 Replies

Poll

Question: Would/Do you let your kids go to a park 3 blocks away if there is known gang/drug activities going on

Options:

Yes kids need space

No way

Not THAT park but another one

purple fuzzy unicorns

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 157

View Results

So walking back from a meeting with my 9 year old we passed the skate board park...two of his friends are there a 8 year old and 6 year old...they asked to walk home with us...I told them to tell their parents...

"Oh our parents are at home"

Me- "Do they know that you are here?"

Them- Yep

I am floored... sure this skate board park is only three blocks from their apartments (not realated two different apartments) but its on a VERY busy road. The police have already been called there for gang fights, there is condoms and drug stuff around...

Am I crazy for not letting my kid go there alone? When his leg is stronger I will be going with him and bringing a book to read while he does all his crazy tricks. 

Side note- these kids are NEVER supervised, called my kid a baby since he was not allowed to go outside at 11pm last night (they were calling to him through the window trying to get him to sneak out, I heard and told them to go home) 

Now there is a playgroud in the complex that I let my son play at without me "helicoptering" over him. But this park is a longs way away if anything was to happen to him. 

by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 5:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NeonGirl9583
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 5:58 PM
2 moms liked this
My kids don't even go in my backyard without an adult. Deff not 3 blocks away.
GwenMB
by Gwen on Aug. 28, 2014 at 6:07 PM

That doesn't sound safe to me.

waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 6:10 PM
We don't live close to a park but if we did there is no way I would allow my kids to go alone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 6:22 PM
2 moms liked this

Not at those ages.

My oldest is 16 and he and his friend walk to a park about a block from the friend's house.  It is a known gang hangout and in a really rough part of town. 

That is TOTALLY different from the ages OP mentioned.

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 7:13 PM
There isn't a park within walking distance of our home and we don't live near any gang territory. If we did, I don't think I'd let my kids outside alone until we'd saved enough to move to a nice are.
diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Aug. 28, 2014 at 7:15 PM
No I wouldn't allow my nine year old and six year old to go to a skate park unsupervised.
diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Aug. 28, 2014 at 7:17 PM
3 moms liked this
Long before Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown were shot I didn't feel comfortable having my two teenagers go places without me. Of course now I'm even more nervous/anxious/scared. I live in an area with mostly Caucasian people...as an African American mother in my community my concern is more that my boys do not get shot by random people/police officers because of the color of their skin.
anotherandree
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 7:18 PM

No, I wouldn't but I would certainly let them go to a "cleaner" and "quieter" playground that was 3 blocks away.  My kids are 7, 9, and 11.  I wouldn't let the 7 yr old go by himself, but with the 9 yr old.

Serabeth06
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this

No, I don't even like my kids being outside without an adult. There's open, unfenced woods to the right of our house. I'd never send them three blocks away to a park by themselves, especially in a bad neighborhood.

Jsanchez125
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 7:31 PM
They need more supervision. Maybe the kids were telling you the parents were home but really they weren't. A child that young should not be out at 11 pm. Especially without the parents.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)