Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fall or Thanksgiving Break?

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:41 AM
  • 155 Replies

I was looking at my sons school calendar for November and I am surprised by the way the days off are broken up.

He is off of school for 3 days next week. Then during Thanksgiving week, he is off for another 3 days (Wed, Thursday and Friday) as well.

At the previous schools he attended, the students had the entire week off for Thanksgiving that counted as their fall break.
Here at this school, I'm not sure what the thought process is behind having two short weeks a week apart during this month rather than one full week off.

Do your kids have the entire week off for Thanksgiving? Do they have a fall break separate from Thanksgiving break? How are things done at your schools?

by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
codfish
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this
We have a week in October, Wed - Sun for Thanksgiving and 2 weeks for Christmas. We have several 3 day weekends also and 2 weeks for spring break. Actually spring break changes depending on snow days used.
CorpCityGrl
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:44 AM

DD's school calendar is similar to yours. They are off two days next week and then they are off three days for Thanksgiving. 

canadianmom1974
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:47 AM
Thanksgiving here is in October, we have the day of (it's a monday) off, and no there is no fall break. School only starts after Labour Day, there is no need for a long break before Christmas.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cafe MichelleP
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:47 AM

At first I thought it was in line with the grading period but after checking it's not. I wonder why it is this way. Glad to know that we aren't the only ones. 

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

DD's school calendar is similar to yours. They are off two days next week and then they are off three days for Thanksgiving. 

anotherandree
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:49 AM

My kids had a week off in the middle of October for Fall break and then 2 1/2 days off for Thanksgiving.

Cafe MichelleP
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:49 AM

When I still lived in Texas the weather days didn't cut into Spring Break, instead they used other off days in the Spring to make up for any missed time in the winter but our Spring Breaks were only a week and not two.

Quoting codfish: We have a week in October, Wed - Sun for Thanksgiving and 2 weeks for Christmas. We have several 3 day weekends also and 2 weeks for spring break. Actually spring break changes depending on snow days used.

CorpCityGrl
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:50 AM

Nope. They added some of these days for us it seems for staff development days and then they gave them the extra day for Thanksgiving. 

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

At first I thought it was in line with the grading period but after checking it's not. I wonder why it is this way. Glad to know that we aren't the only ones. 

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:50 AM
My boys have half days on Monday and Tuesday for parent/teacher conferences. They are off Wednesday, Thursday (Thanksgiving) and Friday. It's not called a "Fall Break". It's just a few half days, and a few days off from school.
Cafe MichelleP
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:52 AM

That is a late start. Here we start the first week of August.

Quoting canadianmom1974: Thanksgiving here is in October, we have the day of (it's a monday) off, and no there is no fall break. School only starts after Labour Day, there is no need for a long break before Christmas.

codfish
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:53 AM
We have built in snow days and they take teacher in service days first. However some years we use no days and others we have weeks off. TN weather is moody to say the least!

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

When I still lived in Texas the weather days didn't cut into Spring Break, instead they used other off days in the Spring to make up for any missed time in the winter but our Spring Breaks were only a week and not two.

Quoting codfish: We have a week in October, Wed - Sun for Thanksgiving and 2 weeks for Christmas. We have several 3 day weekends also and 2 weeks for spring break. Actually spring break changes depending on snow days used.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)