Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help please

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:30 PM
  • 7 Replies
My son is having trouble focuaing at school and getting all of his work done. My son has an IEP and he is supposed to be given extra time to complete work and tests as part of it. I accept that as long he needs it but I always try to push him to work faster, etc without special accommodations . I need some ideas on what to do to help him focus. We had trouble with this in first grade but once we were able to fix it he was fine until now. He is now 9 years old and in fourth grade. In his school fourth grade is run like Jr high and so he has 8 different classes plus he is pulled aside for speech therapy and to work on his IEP goals. A couple of his teachers have been really good about communicating how he is doing in class but the rest have been harder to get information from. Does anyone have any suggestions for consequences or rewards or ways to communicate that would be easier than email for the teachers?
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
anotherandree
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I would figure out what is distracting him.  Of course, I'm sure it is alot of things but that might be a place to start.  Daydreaming out the window?  Maybe make sure he sit away from windows and doors.  I have also known people that have a stress ball to squeeze.  Not sure why that works...

http://psychcentral.com/lib/15-adhd-friendly-tips-to-fire-up-your-focus/00010767

Adnalor
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Many of my students have a chart they carry from class to class saying whether they met their goals for that class or not. The teacher checks off and signs or initials it. It goes home with the student each night so the parent can see it. Maybe talk to his home room teacher and see if they can help with this.
AidanTiarra
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:50 PM
Quoting anotherandree:

I would figure out what is distracting him.  Of course, I'm sure it is alot of things but that might be a place to start.  Daydreaming out the window?  Maybe make sure he sit away from windows and doors.  I have also known people that have a stress ball to squeeze.  Not sure why that works...

http://psychcentral.com/lib/15-adhd-friendly-tips-to-fire-up-your-focus/00010767

Thanks, I will see if a stress ball will help. I hadn't considered that before. He is just daydreaming, but it doesn't matter where he sits.
AidanTiarra
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:52 PM
Quoting Adnalor: Many of my students have a chart they carry from class to class saying whether they met their goals for that class or not. The teacher checks off and signs or initials it. It goes home with the student each night so the parent can see it. Maybe talk to his home room teacher and see if they can help with this.

That is a great ideal, hopefully I can get all of his teachers on board with that.
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe each teacher could keep something in their classroom to put up on his desk as a barrier to keep him from looking around, at least during tests? Like a cut-down bit of tri-fold display board?

Does he carry one binder for all classes? If so, you could try putting a strip of velcro on it for him to rub.

Or he could carry one of these balls in his pocket to fidget w/:

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this
You should be able to get this added to his IEP.

Quoting Adnalor: Many of my students have a chart they carry from class to class saying whether they met their goals for that class or not. The teacher checks off and signs or initials it. It goes home with the student each night so the parent can see it. Maybe talk to his home room teacher and see if they can help with this.
Adnalor
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Great idea!

Quoting Andrewsmom70: You should be able to get this added to his IEP.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)