Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

celebrating birthdays at school...

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:46 PM
  • 25 Replies
My dd's birthday is this week and I was going to send some cupcakes for her class, but i recalled the teacher saying in one of the meetings that they don't allowed junk food. So what would you send to substitute the cupcakes?
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anotherandree
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:52 PM

First, I would ask the teacher if they celebrate birthdays on the day or at the end of the month (my kids' past two school have changed their policy to the end of the month ONLY).  Second, ask her for suggestions.  Apples and peanut butter?  Dried fruit/trail mix?  

diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:53 PM
We are only allowed to send pencils, stickers, and other non food goodies to school. This is a new policy (a few years old). I used to be able to bring cupcakes when my older boys had birthdays.
My middle son is having a birthday this month!
lizfnf
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:57 PM
We are no allowed to send in anything for birthdays. The teacher lets the kids pick a prize from her treasure chest, and the school offers a "birthday book" program where parents buy a book for the school library and on the child's birthday the librarian comes and presents the book to the child and makes me general fuss over them. My daughter eats it up.
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Granola bars, fruit snacks, fruit kabobs

We aren't allowed to take in anything any more. They get a little something from their teacher, and the old principal would give them a Happy Birthday pencil. I don't know what the new principal will do, if anything. They also get their name on the morning announcements. We have the option of buying a birthday book for the library. The librarian has a bunch of books set aside just for this- you pay $15 and your child gets to pick one to have a "plaque" put in the front of w/ their name and the year on it.

Sigmalade
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:11 PM

We can take cupcakes on birthdays. We are only suppose to have healthy snacks too, but ds' teacher is just like bring whatever they eat.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:28 PM
Thankfully our school allows us to bring in whatever we want. I'll be taking cupcakes for my son's celebration.
Mocking.Jay
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Every school is different in my city. Some divisions have a zero tolerance policy on stuff like that, but other days, they allow home baked goods, and other schools, they allow baked goods to only be sold at bookfairs and conference nights. 

As for your school's policy, it sounds a lot like my son's school. In this case, I would send in a fruit or snack tray. My son's school has a no junk policy but for some reason they allow popcorn twists, and pretzels lol.

ljmom24
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2014 at 12:40 PM

We can't bring anything in for birthdays. In kindergarten they do a birthday crown but come 1st grade and higher there is no mention of birthdays.

PrincessAsmommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2014 at 2:01 PM

You could find out if they consider birthday cupcakes to be "junk food"  lots of school don't . If it is then fruit kebabs or a fruit tray with dip is always fun. Or you could find novelty pencils and erasers to share with the class.

Our school allows homemade treats on special days but you have to let the teacher know in advance so they can make time in the day for it. We also have a Nut Free policy and lots of the kids are Gluten Free or diabetic so it's best to just check in with the teacher to make sure it'll work. Most of the teachers have a stash of goodies for the kids with special dietary needs so they aren't left out.

jewels.unicorn
by Member on Nov. 7, 2014 at 2:49 PM

There were some really neat fruit & veggie Hallowe'en treats - banana ghosts and tangerines that looked like pumpkins... what about a variation on that? I know sending fruits & veggies might seem lame, but that's kind of where the schools are leaning now.

Pretzels and popcorn are considered healthy snacks at our school - the school hands them out in the snack program. You could make a snack mix maybe with that and some cereal mixes and then throw in chocolate chips or mini m&m's. Bag up individual baggies of your own "trail mix" in loot bags to dress them up?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)