Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need help! Drawing a complete blank! Need Ideas! Due tomorrow! UPDATED

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:24 PM
  • 11 Replies

My 5th grade son is the "Star of the Week".  I helped him with his "getting to know you" poster, printed pics for that and the one that hangs in the front hallway, and will attend lunch with him later this week.

BUT

The parents are supposed to write a letter & put it in a sealed envelope that the teacher will then read in front of the class. 

It's due tomorrow.

I have NO idea what to write.  :( 

Suggestions in the letter from the teacher said to describe a special or funny story, write a poem, or write a short story with my son as the main character.

Well, I'm sure there ARE funny stories I could tell, but he has forbidden me to tell anything 'embarrassing' (he's quite sensitive) and I just can't think of anything else!!

Please help!  What would YOU write if it was you?

UPDATE
So, I'm so lame. I'm going to blame it on mental exhaustion as I'm doing two full time jobs right now (mine & I'm covering someone's maternity leave), DH has been working lots of OT leaving all 3 kids, house, school , B-day party, etc., to me. I just couldn't think of a good enough story, so I went general.

I started, since it's addressed to the class, mentioning a few things they may already know about him (things he likes/dislikes, etc.) then did a "but wait there's more thing" and then talked about four facts of his character that I find inspiring. I wrapped up with a summary of traits using the letters of his 1st & last name.

I think it turned out OK...hope he thinks so too!

Thanks all!

by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hannahluvsdogs
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I would write about a time when he did something that made you proud, like by helping somebody, trying his best, or not giving up when something was hard.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 12:58 AM
Maybe an acrostic of his name with attributes he has that you are proud of that start with the letters of his name.

For instance for the name Tim:
Tough
Imaginative
Motivated
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 1:55 AM

why my child is a star in my heart--how helpful, how loving, how smart, etc.

susannah2000
by on Nov. 5, 2014 at 2:00 AM

Why did he need help to make a poster?

aetrom
by Gold Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 2:07 AM
I would do accomplishments and good character not funny or cute. Ways he has made you proud.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 7:33 AM
Because the teacher said to make it a family project. All I really did was print the pictures & sit with him while he wrote everything.

Quoting susannah2000:

Why did he need help to make a poster?

the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 7:39 AM
1 mom liked this
So, I'm so lame. I'm going to blame it on mental exhsustion as I'm doing two full time jobs right now (mine & I'm covering someone's maternity leave), DH has been working lots of OT leaving all 3 kids, house, school , B-day party, etc., to me. I just couldn't think of a good enough story, so I went general.

I started, since it's addressed to the class, mentioning a few things they may already know about him (things he likes/dislikes, etc.) then did a "but wait there's more thing" and then talked about four facts of his character that I find inspiring. I wrapped up with a summary of traits using the letters of his 1st & last name.

I think it turned out OK...hope he thinks so too!

Thanks all!
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this

That does not sound lame to me : )

Quoting the3Rs: So, I'm so lame. I'm going to blame it on mental exhsustion as I'm doing two full time jobs right now (mine & I'm covering someone's maternity leave), DH has been working lots of OT leaving all 3 kids, house, school , B-day party, etc., to me. I just couldn't think of a good enough story, so I went general. I started, since it's addressed to the class, mentioning a few things they may already know about him (things he likes/dislikes, etc.) then did a "but wait there's more thing" and then talked about four facts of his character that I find inspiring. I wrapped up with a summary of traits using the letters of his 1st & last name. I think it turned out OK...hope he thinks so too! Thanks all!

MamaLauri
by Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Tell about what makes you proud to be his mother. Actions that show his character.

MystiqueLady
by on Nov. 5, 2014 at 8:53 AM

Sounds pretty amazing to me.  Why not do an update to this post and share?

good

Quoting the3Rs: So, I'm so lame. I'm going to blame it on mental exhsustion as I'm doing two full time jobs right now (mine & I'm covering someone's maternity leave), DH has been working lots of OT leaving all 3 kids, house, school , B-day party, etc., to me. I just couldn't think of a good enough story, so I went general. I started, since it's addressed to the class, mentioning a few things they may already know about him (things he likes/dislikes, etc.) then did a "but wait there's more thing" and then talked about four facts of his character that I find inspiring. I wrapped up with a summary of traits using the letters of his 1st & last name. I think it turned out OK...hope he thinks so too! Thanks all!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)