Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anxiety at school

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 3:06 AM
  • 15 Replies

My son has extreme anxiety it makes for a very long school day and it has came to the point that i have gotten several phone calls from the school to either come sit with him or pick him up. We have started counseling, im wondering if anyone has had this issue and has any adice or tricks to help my son during the day at school. 

by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 3:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NicoleBrower
by Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 7:36 AM
1 mom liked this

So sorry to hear this.  You did the right thing by starting counseling because the goal is not to eliminate the anxiety but try to manange it.  You definitely want to express postive expectations by expressing confidence to your son that he will be okay and that he will be able to manange it.  Hopefully over time the anxiety level will drop.  You might also want to respect his feelings but do't empower them.  For example, tell him that you know he is scared and that is okay but tell him that you are here to help him.

Maybe try writing him some little notes in his lunchbox that say how much you love him and how proud you are of him.  I also suggest reading the book The Kissing Hand that in short is about a mother raccoon who comforts her child.

Hope this helps.

Nicole Brower
Proud Mommy of 2 Awesome Girls
Happily Married
Public School Teacher
Childrens Book Author
My Website NicoleBrowerBooks.com

cupcake_mom
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 7:56 AM
I suffer from anxiety myself and the only thing that helps me is meds.
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 8:00 AM
How old is he?
ljmom24
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 8:26 AM

My oldest has anxiety issues. He gets counseling through school which has helped him with coping technics. We already medicate for his ADHD so I am holding off on adding something to it but for him his anxiety and his ADHD play off each other. He is better as far as handling his anxiety when he is medicated. He is more likely to have a meltdown when not medicated for the ADHD. Its almost like being able to focus makes it easier to manage his anxiety.

emiller3321
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 2:17 PM

He is seven

Quoting Andrewsmom70: How old is he?

dawncs
by Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Have you tried talking to the teacher about his day besides him? With anxiety, there is usually a trigger to it. It can come in many forms including social situations or test anxiety. He could be having problems with particular students. It will help with the therapist and counseling to find out the cause.

Dawn
Beautifully Talanted Asperger Syndrome Writer
Diagnosed Asperger Syndrome as an adult
Metabolic Syndrome finally diagnosed August 2014
My Author Page

emiller3321
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 6:00 PM

We have, the teacher and I talk daily trying to try new things. His counselor says he has social anxiety and seperation anxiety and extreme OCD. It all started after my second son passed away in his sleep. It has gotten better I am just looking for some tricks that the teacher could use at school to help him through the day. At the moment when his social anxiety gets bad they just let him go sit out in the hallway and do his homework. I am fine with that if someone is there that can watch him.

Quoting dawncs:

Have you tried talking to the teacher about his day besides him? With anxiety, there is usually a trigger to it. It can come in many forms including social situations or test anxiety. He could be having problems with particular students. It will help with the therapist and counseling to find out the cause.

dawncs
by Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 6:44 PM

If his anxieties got worse with his brother passing away, he is still probably grieving at this point and not handling things well. Have you thought of getting him involved with the school counselor? There are some really great social skills videos at www.youtube.com. I have found a great way for making friends and doing great in social situations is getting him involved in clubs or activities that match his interests.

Quoting emiller3321:

We have, the teacher and I talk daily trying to try new things. His counselor says he has social anxiety and seperation anxiety and extreme OCD. It all started after my second son passed away in his sleep. It has gotten better I am just looking for some tricks that the teacher could use at school to help him through the day. At the moment when his social anxiety gets bad they just let him go sit out in the hallway and do his homework. I am fine with that if someone is there that can watch him.

Quoting dawncs:

Dawn
Beautifully Talanted Asperger Syndrome Writer
Diagnosed Asperger Syndrome as an adult
Metabolic Syndrome finally diagnosed August 2014
My Author Page

ticklesurpickle
by Member on Nov. 10, 2014 at 12:10 AM

My daughter is definitely a worrisome child and I'm thinking that maybe counselling would be best for her. She has no friends and usually sits alone at recess, but she will talk to the kids in her classroom. We have a ritual we must do everyday or else our day will not be good. 

1. She wears a locket with my picture

2. We hug and kiss before she heads to her class line

3. Just before she goes in, we wave and thumbs up

I can than leave. 

Once she had a male sub and it was like the end of the world. It was so bad that other moms were trying to help me reassure her that it would be fine. After 30mins. the sub came out and told her, that her teacher was only running late and that was the only way we got her in that classroom. She even wakes up in the middle of the night crying about something that happened at school and she's so worried about it that she can't sleep! I'm super sensitive too and very introverted, I was hoping she'd be more like her dad and I am so sad that she got my gene. Hopefully, she'll grow out of it...

~~~My~~~
ticklesurpickle
by Member on Nov. 10, 2014 at 12:16 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about your other son. For my daughter, it's social axiety and change. Change is NOT our friend. 

Quoting emiller3321:

~~~My~~~
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)