• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Well this sucks...

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 6:19 AM
Max
  • 12 Replies

I've been sick since Friday. It was really terrible Saturday with a fever and coughing. I was in bed all day. 

I felt better yesterday, but my older son came down with it. He spiked a fever and slept most of the afternoon. 

About 10 last night my youngest woke up crying with a super high fever. I should have know something was up when he went to bed at 7:30 at his own suggestion. The problem with him is that he won't/can't take medicine. He gags it right up. So getting the right dose in him is really tricky. He also runs very high fevers. 

I've lost my voice, I'm still running a low grade fever and got very little sleep last night. Now I am waiting for the doctor's office to open so I can get the kids in. Hopefully I can also get myself in. But I'm not sure there's much they can do about it.

It just sucks.

Any miracle home remedies out there?

by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 6:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:07 AM

That sounds like what my sister had a few weeks ago. She just had to let it run its course. It took almost a week for her to get her voice back to normal. Good luck!

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:28 AM

Poor kids, and poor Mom! Hope you can all kick this thing before Thursday.

Wish I had some miracle help for you. I've got a cold that tried to kick my butt on Saturday. I still have the drippy nose, sinus issues (although that one is pretty much an every day thing for me), cough, and a croaky voice. Dd and ds1 have colds; ds1's had him feeling the worst Saturday night, and dd's been complaining about her eyes feeling "sticky". Poor ds2 has the cold, but the drainage made him throw up yesterday, and his tummy still hurts today, so he's home for the day :(

terpmama
by Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:35 AM
Is it the taste of the medicine? If that's the cause try mixing it in applesauce (especially if you can get it in plain flavor (no flavor added) or pill form and crush it. My parents used to do that when I was little (especially with Dramamine when we travelled). You can also try nibbling a saltine while taking the medicine to help the stomach have something other than just medicine in it.

Luke warm baths help lower fevers (or even just cool damp wash cloths on the back of the neck and in armpits/under boobs.

Peppermint is great for upset tummies too.

Good luck!!
Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:44 AM

I don't have much in the way of home remedy suggestions aside from a lot of fluids and rest.  My youngest runs really high fevers too.  It will just be a typical cold and he will run 103 or more easy.  Highest he ever hit so far is 105.  Hope you and your kiddos start feeling better soon!

aetrom
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:56 PM
Ugh. They have a patch to help keep feversdown and it helped us. :) i forget what they are called but i found them in pharmacy at walmart/target.

I have also mixed meds in fruit juices.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:38 PM

I hope you both feel better soon

MommyHuman
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:20 PM

I'm sorry. I don't know any remedies that would help. Just try to get some extra rest and drink extra fluids, especially those loaded with vitamin C. I hope everyone feels better soon.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:06 PM

I took the boys to the doctor and it's the flu. He prescribed Tamiflu, but it's so gross they can't keep it down. Looks like we are in for a rough couple of days. 

Thanks for all the support. 

jaytee
by Jen on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Hope you all feel better very soon

lizfnf
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Ice packs on the back of the neck can help lower a fever.  Honey has anti-viral properties, as do grapes.  Cool showers and baths.  mixing the meds in with applesauce or yogurt may go over better.  Hope everyone is feeling better soon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)