Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When is an appropritate age?

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:58 AM
  • 14 Replies

At what age is it appropriate and a good idea to allow your children to play in the front yard by themselves?

by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this

That all depends on where you live.  My children have played in the front yard as well as the back yard alone for a few minutes from the age of 3.  We live in the country on my family's farm land on a dead end private road.

Ashley__Nicole
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:09 AM

We live in a rather small townhome complex.

Quoting steelcrazy:

That all depends on where you live.  My children have played in the front yard as well as the back yard alone for a few minutes from the age of 3.  We live in the country on my family's farm land on a dead end private road.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:18 AM

It depends on how good the neighborhood you live in is, and how mature your child is.

We live in a good neighborhood, and not on a busy street; our neighborhood before this one was the same way. I did not let ds1 play out front alone until about 5 b/c he was more impulsive. Same w/ dd, for the same reason. Ds2, however, I let play out front alone at 4 b/c he was more mature and less impulsive at that age.

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Depends on a lot of things...

Where do you live?

How busy is your street?

How big is your yard?

Do your kids understand that the car wins 100% of the time, so not to run into the road?

Are the drivers on said street asshats that speed and don't pay attention?

Can you see/ hear them from inside the house easily?

Do you have any weirdos creeping around your neighborhood/complex?

How mature are your kids?

That and several other things play into it. I don't have a front yard where I live now, but I will let my 9 & 11 yr old walk to the playground that's right out our back door. I can't see them at it, but we live on a dead end street and the park isn't near any streets. They can walk through the grass there and back and not be anywhere near a moving car.

Ashley__Nicole
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:27 AM

The neighborhood or complex is very quiet, and DD knows not to go in the street, but the drivers around here are indeed asshats!

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Depends on a lot of things...

Where do you live?

How busy is your street?

How big is your yard?

Do your kids understand that the car wins 100% of the time, so not to run into the road?

Are the drivers on said street asshats that speed and don't pay attention?

Can you see/ hear them from inside the house easily?

Do you have any weirdos creeping around your neighborhood/complex?

How mature are your kids?

That and several other things play into it. I don't have a front yard where I live now, but I will let my 9 & 11 yr old walk to the playground that's right out our back door. I can't see them at it, but we live on a dead end street and the park isn't near any streets. They can walk through the grass there and back and not be anywhere near a moving car.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:58 AM

We lived in the middle of a ghetto. Truly, the crappiest part of town with active gangs and seriously dangerous drivers. My kids were NEVER allowed outside, in the front, alone and they were 16, 13 and 11 when we moved out of there.

On the other hand, my parents live in a private community in the mountains overa mile from the closet paved road. Everyone knows everyone and the biggest issues are the wildlife (cougars, rattlesnakes, bobcats) and poison oak. We have let the kids run free in groups of friends from about age 6. We would load up a backpack with water and snacks and give them walkie-talkies and send them off to play.

We moved to an area outside of town, but not as far as where my parents live. It is a small town community but still has a lot of fast vehicle traffic.. We let the kids run free. We are blessed to know a few other families out here from Boy Scouts and the kids go back and forth between the homes.  

In this home, I would allow a child as young as three to be outside alone in our yard but I would be checking on them frequently.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Life Scout Ian 1/98, 1st Class Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

ladybugchick317
by Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Mine play in the front and back yard alone but we are in the country and live on family owned property where there isn't anywhere they can go that one of us won't hear them or see them.

liss05
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 3:20 PM

We are in a small town and I let my 9yo be outside by himself or with his 4yo sister but as someone else said the worse thing we have is deer,coyote,fox in the yard from time to time.

anotherandree
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 3:24 PM
This! We lived in a neighborhood where maybe 3 cars passed through all day and mostly and beginning/end of work. A busier street or a more impulsive child might have to wait a bit longer.

Quoting steelcrazy:

soymujer
by Mikki on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Most parents would disagree with me and probably freak out but I have let my kids outside in front and back since they were like 3 or 4.  Granted for not very long but still.

family in the van   Mom of four

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)