Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

girls in wrestling?

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 4:02 PM
  • 13 Replies
So recently my 9 uear old daughter decided to join wrestling. I was a little way of it bc she is not an aggressive kid and I wasnt ure how much she would enjoy it. Turns out she loves it, and although she isnt by any means the best on the team she isnt terrible either. However I have been getting all kinds of crud for her being on the team from my families friends and a few parents.. the biggest reason being girls in wrestling is unfair for the boys who are taught not to hurt girls. While I understand the point, my daughter wants to wresle and im not about to tell her she cant bc she is girl... just wondering about opinions on girls wrestling, or participating in other male dominate sports
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 4:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M4LG5
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 4:06 PM

My sister did in middle school and she was really, really good.  At the local high school, they had a few of them.  One almost went to the championship round.  She was legit!  I wish it was a popular sport for girls because it's very strategic and you also need patience.  I would love for one of my girls to wrestle but I don't think they would.  They wrestle each other all the time. 

OHgirlinCA
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I say ignore the naysayers and let her do what she enjoys.

matofour
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 4:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Keep her in it! The potential for college scholarships for girl wrestlers is insane! Even if they suck, they usually get scholarships.
And many many women wrestlers go on to compete in the Olympics.
TLC4theworld
by Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 4:31 PM
I did it in high school. I had a few boys that where forced by their fathers to forfeit the match because I refused to forfeit. I went to state and actually won my state match.

My oldest daughter found out that I wrestled in high school and asked if she could to. Last year she experienced males who had to forfeit against females because of the same reason. This is her second year. Unfortunately her coach this year knows nothing about wrestling.

I say go for it. It's fun, make sure the head gear fits properly. And if she wears braces, please get a mouth gaurd.
Saphira1207
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 4:41 PM

My Uncle coached an all girls wrestling team in Oregon for years.  He knew his stuff and made sure they did too.

There's nothing inherently wrong with it, but there is a stigma attached and, as pp said, there are many males who will refuse to wrestle her because of her sex.  It's their loss really.

As for family and friends - tell them what I told you about my uncle.  It's really not unheard of for females to wrestle.  It's just unusual in some areas of the country.

coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 4:48 PM
As long as she can keep up physically and not get hurt, go for it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:35 PM

If she is enjoying it, let her keep doing it.

diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:42 PM
Go for it!
mopargurl
by New Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:45 PM
I say let her go for it! My 9yr old plays midget football, she's the only girl on her team. She's damn good too. The boys were weary at first, but she went out and played hard and earned their respect.
my2girls0513
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 11:32 PM
Thanks ladies... she is definitely going to stick with it... today she pinned a 6th grade boy (she is only in 4th). I love seeing girls play male dominated sports, but im a little frustrated.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)