Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Body image issues

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:01 PM
  • 3 Replies

DD is asking me questions like is she chubby.I told her she is beautiful and perfect. She is only 7 . Is this normal? We did talk about growing up and changes in her body. She was more upset about growing hair then getting her period.

i am hairy I stopped waxing my arms  she just keeps asking is that what I am going to look like. I told her maybe or maybe not. I don't want to lie but if she is as hairy as me it will be rough. I have olive skin she is Snow White with blue eyes and black hair. The hair stands out on that beautiful skin.

how to I give her more confidence?

by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2014 at 8:37 AM

Just keep emphasizing how she is perfect for her. Remind her that there are all different kinds of body types. Maybe hit up google for celebrities who fight back against critics who critizing them for not being "Hollywood skinny"?

As for the hair, I can see me being in a similar boat w/ my dd, 8. She has fairer skin w/ darker hair. It's not as noticable on her arms, but is on her legs. So far, she hasn't really complained about it (I love her self-confidence!), but I can see it happening sooner than I'd like b/c of peer pressure. Wish I had some answers there for you.

Jsanchez125
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2014 at 11:59 AM
My daughter is 8 going on 9. She has really long curly hair, cinnamon colored skin, and is skinny but has a big butt. I had breasts and my period when i was 9. She has a big butt( from me) and is already growing pubic hair. The hair part does not bother her, probably because nobody sees it. But if i mention cutting her hair she starts to cry!! Her friend is 20 lbs over weight and so she is always asking me if shes getting fat. Shes crazy cause shes a stick!!
(dad is skinny) I have made it very clear that its not important that she is skinny but that she is healthy. At her dr checks up i have the pediatrician explain the difference. Then at home I'm always reminding her what foods are healthier. So when shes offered candy and cake and ice cream 70 % of the time she declines. While her brother eats his heart out. Also she likes being active. Loves to ride her scooter and bike and love hula hoops. And even likes basketball.

I think its just important to remind her that shes beautiful. Her daddy is for ever telling her how beautiful and gorgeous she is. (Shes his clone lol) and i believe she is a little conceited(bad and good) but for the most part i believe she is confident about her body.
harleigh07
by on Dec. 5, 2014 at 12:13 PM
I think it's ok that she doesn't want to have the dark thick hair. I'm german and have dark thick hair. I got made fun of all the time in 6th grade. My mom had a rule that we couldn't start shaving till high school. She made the exception for me because I came home crying almost everyday.

It is important to teach her to love her body but because of make up, shaving and other normal things that girls do you should also let her know that at an appropriate time if she doesn't like the hair she can shave.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)