Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Started Kindergarten and she doesn't like it

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:39 AM
  • 28 Replies
My daughter started Kindergarten this year and she's not enjoying it. She's not motivated and her confidence level is not very high. Her conduct is amazing and she brings home multiple stars everyday. She received a U and N on her progress report and I'm worried. On one hand I can't get upset with her because she doesn't realize she is falling behind. Most days she asks me if it's Friday yet so she can have days off from school. Before she started kinder she was very excited to go to big girl school and now that she's there she's not enjoying it. I'm trying really hard to keep her motivated and we sit down every night doing homework together. She uses very big words for her age and she's always been very out going and spunky and now that she's started school she has become very shy and not as outgoing and her whole personality seems to have changed. I've talked with her many times trying to figure out if something is going on at school that shouldn't be. We've talked about bullying etc. and everything seems to be fine. I've requested a parent teacher conference and her teacher says she's such a joy to have in class and that she is very helpful and polite. I need some advice Mommas. What things have worked for you in motivating your children for school and getting them more interested in the curriculum. What has worked for you in boosting your childrens self confidence as I think this has a lot to do with her performance. No bashing please. Just advice from one concerned mommy to another.
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thatgirl70
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Some kids just don't like school. You have those that love it and are thrilled to go every single day, then you have those, like my son, who dread having to walk into that building. Mine doesn't like it because it takes him away from the things he enjoys doing the most. To him it's an inconvenience. But, it's a necessary inconvenience. I tell him he has no choice, because it's something he has to do so he might as well make the best of it.

anotherandree
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:51 AM
I agree. I would stress the parts she likes (friends, activities) but also that see has to go and might as well make the most of it.

Quoting thatgirl70:

Some kids just don't like school. You have those that love it and are thrilled to go every single day, then you have those, like my son, who dread having to walk into that building. Mine doesn't like it because it takes him away from the things he enjoys doing the most. To him it's an inconvenience. But, it's a necessary inconvenience. I tell him he has no choice, because it's something he has to do so he might as well make the best of it.

sjenkins8208
by Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:55 AM
I'm sure it's okay. My ds6 starts this year and he gets a little burnt out. He's always asking when his "days off" are lol. He really just hates getting up. Christmas break is coming up and maybe your daughter just needs a few days off......lol don't we ALL
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 5:32 PM
2 moms liked this

When you talked w/ the teacher, did you ask specific questions? Things like "Does my child seem to understand (fill in skill) and just not seem to have the confidence to show that in her work, or is she truly struggling to grasp the subject?", "Does my child initiate playing w/ other kids or does she wait for them to approach her?", "Have you noticed anything that may be making my child uncomfortable in the classroom or at lunch/recess?"

My dd likes school overall, but does not like math. The reason: while she can do the work, she does not have the confidence in her ability to do it since she has to work harder at it than reading; she keeps wanting to check her answers against what others in her math group have gotten.

No_Average_Bear
by New Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Honestly, I would question how she goes from spunky and outgoing to shy and so different from her personality before she began school.

My son is five. It is so, so, so hard for him at school. It's not that he doesn't love it, or he's not smart. He is leaps and bounds over some of the kids in the class, while also being one of the youngest AND smallest (the age to go to school here in Ohio is 6, so most kids seem to start at 6), and even he is miserable most of the time. They have to sit down A LOT of the day, they aren't allowed to talk most of the time (not even in the freaking hallway!), and it's just not natural for kids to have to do that. And I know, absolutely know, this is all because this is how school will be, but it's Kindergarten!

I don't know your daughter's school, but she may just not LIKE it, especially if she has so much energy and it has nowhere to go, and she's made to sit and be still and be quiet which is quite unnatural at her age.

I hope it gets better for you. I, myself, am looking into Montessori schools for next year!

ljmom24
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 5:57 PM
My oldest hated school until 5th grade.

I'd dig deeper find our what she doesn't like and what she likes.

Is she struggling with acedemically? Is this her first experience with school?

If she sees she is struggling where others aren't that can not be fun. If she isn't used to the long day that could be overwhelming.

I'd start by finding out what she doesn't like but for everything she hates challenger her to find something she likes.

Like I said my oldest hated school for the first 5 years but there were still things he like. Like his classmates and most of the time the teacher but hatedvthe work work work. Loved gym and recess and computers. Hated music and art.
diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Dec. 14, 2014 at 9:49 AM
I didn't like school, my boys don't like school. Some kids just don't like school.
mamavalor
by on Dec. 14, 2014 at 8:34 PM

My son is in second grade and still dislikes going to school.  But he has matured enough to know that he needs to go and to enjoy his time there.  I didn't enjoy school either until I got to college.  I am more of an independent learner, and it looks like my DS is too.

iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2014 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Can you visit the class? Do some volunteer teeming and scope things out?

When you had your conference, what did the teacher say about her grades? Did she have any suggestions on how to work with her?
coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Dec. 14, 2014 at 10:49 PM
DS flat out told his 1st grade teacher he didn't like school because it interfered with his social life. He hated going to school everyday but once he hit middle school, he started to like it. Don't get wrong, he'd like it a lot more if there was no work involved but he accepts itfor what it is.

Is this her first experience in a school setting?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)